1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer with El Paso (Texas) Times,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 1, 2010.

1. La Marque is one of the most storied football programs in Texas over the last 20 years, having won five state titles in 10 trips to the championship game, including this past season. Friendswood's football team is very good as well, but their volleyball, girls basketball and both soccer teams usually make trips to the regional finals.

It's indeed the oldest newspaper in Texas, but I can't imagine how well a one-page section with so many schools is going to work.

2. esport12

esport12 Member

I'm outing myself here, but thanks for the kind words from everyone. Still not sure how The Daily News will handle the hiring. If I hear anything, I'll post on here. You could always send me a resume (evan.mohl@galvnews.com) and I will pass it along.

If you want to know anything about the situation and what's happened here, feel free to PM me. Essentially, someone is going to have to be very driven to handle this position. If you're into human-interest stuff as opposed to game stories, the editors will love it. For the right young guy, it would work, but it's going to take a lot of it. Let's just say I've been at worse places. :)

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Anybody hear anything on the Galveston job?

4. donjuan

donjuan New Member

Galveston job has been filled.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Appears Jordan Godwin is the hire. I believe he spent some time at the Chronicle before going to Galveston.

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Congrats to Evan on getting out of Galveston before the next hurricane hits. Anyone who wants to live there long term isn't of a clear mind.

If you cover UTEP, remember that Bob Stull lies if you ask him about a job rumor. He went on TV in El Paso once to say he had no interest in the San Diego State job. Made no sense at the time why a guy would say that on TV.

I then did a Google search and there was a small paper in Southern CA saying he had interviewed for San Diego State's opening. About a month later, the big paper in San Diego had a story listing all the people who applied.

Listed prominently was one BOB STULL.

Never had any respect for the dude after that. I would walk past him and laugh to myself.

7. Hurricane or not, Galveston's not a place to set roots at these days. The city and much of the county was circling the drain long before Ike dropped in for the weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted