1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer with El Paso (Texas) Times,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 1, 2010.

1. If all that is true for you, you should go for it. It seems like a good spot for the right person. I'm just not interested because I know I'm not him or her, but if you think you are, good luck.

2. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Anybody hear anything?

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I've heard they contacted finalists.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

this one has been filled.

5. thebigd

thebigd Member

so who was the lucky winner?

6. Evan Mohl, recently of the Galveston County Daily News, got the job. He'll be starting there later this month.

Evan's a great guy with a lot of potential. He and Josh Buckley did a stellar job covering a demanding region for prep sports before management kneecapped the sports dept. by laying off Buckley the day after Christmas, which made Mohl's decision to leave more easy.

In short, Galveston -- as of now -- does not have a sports department. They greatly reduced the section to barely more than a page, which is more than enough space to cover 13 high schools, two jucos and the Houston area college and pro teams. I'm sure they'll put an ad out in the near future regarding the openings, but it would be my advice to steer clear from it.

7. jobu

jobu Member

They did hire a new sports editor within the last several months. I don't know for certain, but I believe the preps reporter has been planning to leave sports for a news side gig for a while now.

I've lived about half of my life in the city, and I agree that El Paso is a safe place, and that one could live comfortably there on that salary. I also agree that it's not for everyone, and that's OK, too.

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Were Evan and Josh the sports department? It seems like Evan's the only guy left right now.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Galveston to El Paso? That's like moving across the country, except you're still in the same state.

10. Evan will be there at least until the end of the week. They're SOL on the Isle after that.

11. Good luck to Evan. Given where he comes from, it seems like he'd be the right candidate for this job.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I didn't give his name earlier not knowing if he had officially announced it. Evan is a good guy who can fit in anywhere (heck he survived Killeen). He's hard-working and coaches really respect him.

If Galveston opens, it is the oldest paper in Texas, for what that's worth.
    You don't hear much of it anymore Ball---LaMarque---Texas City have a very intense high school rivalry.

Draft saved Draft deleted