1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by The Duke, Aug 9, 2006.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member

This is not the former KR paper. It's the one owned by Shamrock Communications, a little smaller.

The Citizens’ Voice, Wilkes-Barre, Pa., has an immediate opening for a sports writer to cover both scholastic and collegiate sports in an aggressive two-newspaper market.
    The ideal candidate will have a proven track record covering a beat and the ability to identify compelling feature and enterprise stories.

We’re also looking for a reporter who understands the basics and importance of the Web in breaking news. The job involves helping create content for the Internet. This includes an understanding of interactive technologies, and a knowledge of, or willingness to work with online and multimedia (including audio and video).

Daily experience is preferred, but we will consider entry-level reporters with strong journalism backgrounds.

Send resume and work samples to Larry Holeva, Managing Editor, The Citizens’ Voice, 75 N. Washington St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa. 18711

2. Minotauro

Minotauro Member

Wouldn't take much to be a star at this paper.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In my limited dealings with him when he was in Scranton, Larry seems like a nice guy. Of course, someone's liable to come on here and tell me I'm whack.

Things are getting whacky crosstown at the Times-Leader, it seems. The new owner names himself publisher *and* editor? No, not meddling in newsroom business at all.

4. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

What's the story with this paper? Is it a legit paper or more of an alternative-type paper? Does it cover all the minor league sports on a consistent basis or does it touch on them briefly? Any insight would be appreciated.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

even with 6 beers in me, this job doesn't sound good

6. The Duke

The Duke Member

The story is, the paper is a tabloid, not alternative.
    they are in a sort-of co-op with the Scranton Times. The Times covers the Red Barons, the Voice covers the Penguins and Pioneers.
    the focus is high schools and local colleges.
    would be a pretty good place for a starter, or a person with a year or two in the biz.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Grizz, I don't know why you'd say that. There's a lot of other papers in Pa. that are pretty bad. This paper ain't the greatest, but it's not shabby. And you're 2 hours and change from some very civilized places (NYC, Philly, even State College).

W-B's gonna be a two-paper town for the foreseeable future. Neither rag is going away. Job security shouldn't be an issue.

I'm surprised they haven't put both Scranton and the Citizen's Voice under one sports editor yet, though I imagine that day is coming.

And the CV is a broadsheet on Sunday nowadays.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a newspaper which was created by striking Times-Leader workers back in the '70s. It's since survived as a second alternative in W-B.

It's not going to win many awards. But W-B is a fairly nice area, good place for family living. And I'm sure if somebody goes there and does a good job, a move up to Scranton wouldn't be far behind. And you can move quite a few places from there.

9. Minotauro

Minotauro Member

People from the CV don't move up to Scranton... it just doesn't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted