1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer wanted, Portsmouth Daily Times, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johnstegeman, Jul 29, 2009.

1. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

The Portsmouth Daily Times, a six-day a week morning newspaper with 12,000 circulation in southeast Ohio, seeks a motivated sports writer. Ideal candidate will understand the importance of high school sports and have a passion for strong reporting. I'm looking for someone on the way up that really wants to show their skill. Please send resumes to: John Stegeman, Sports Editor, Portsmouth Daily times, P.O. Box 581 Portsmouth, OH 45662. E-mail: pdtsports@portsmouth-dailytimes.com

2. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

Amendment to ad: This postion is 35 hours a week which does not qualify for benefits. I apologize if that was misleading. I meant to put that in the ad.

John Stegeman

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Pay will be very low.

Years ago, they offered a SE with experience only about $22K.

Another time, the person was willing to come there, but they didn't hire because the area they came from was too urbanized. Seriously.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Not putting in that it doesn't qualify for benefits ... that might be a little misleading considering it's presented as a real job for someone on the way up. On the way up to being a grown-up who doesn't need to rely on parents to pay for a yearly physical? Or on the way up to being paid for a sick day?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

John, in reality the paper is looking for someone whose best clips come from Bleacher Report.. It's worse than working at Starbucks and Wal-Mart. Does the paper help with food stamp and Medicaid applications?

6. johnstegeman

johnstegeman New Member

The position has been filled. Thank you all for your interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted