1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Times of Northwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

Job Details
    Title: Sports Writer
    Job Type: News
    Division: The Times

Description:
    Sportswriter

The Times of Northwest Indiana, a 90,000 circulation daily newspaper located 30 miles from downtown Chicago -- featuring its rapidly growing Web site, nwi.com -- seeks a seasoned sportswriter. Candidate must have a journalism degree or work equivalent with a minimum of two years editing or news gathering experience for a daily newspaper or an equivalent news media company. Online news experience and experience covering college basketball is a plus. This person will work with the sports editor and other members of the sports staff. Primary duties include covering the Valparaiso University men's basketball team, plus coverage of prep sports and other office duties. The successful candidate will have solid news judgment, excellent time management and organizational skills, including the ability to deliver on tight deadlines and manage a workload in a heavily zoned environment. The Times offers competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package and a great work environment. Come join The Times team in one of the nation's most competitive news areas. Be part of the news team at the fastest-growing English language newspaper in the United States. Please apply on line at nwi.com/timesjobs.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Rumor has it, they LOVE SportsJournalists.com at that place. [/DEEPEST BLUE FONT]

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

In addition to Bubbler's post, this part could be a big concern too.

Job Details
    Title: Sports Writer
    Job Type: News
    Division: The Times

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Aren't they a Lee paper?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hank is right on, as he often is.

Let's hit the archives: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33289/.

At the time, that position covering Valpo was part-time. Is this new position part-time, too? Are we talking about a temporary part-time position? Does this mean the person is out on their behind come the end of basketball season? Are they "day-to-day, like all of us"?

I also seem to recall a former SE there leaving there after a relatively short tenure.
    EDIT: It was Paul Bowker. Funny that a guy who has been praised by others on here left there rather quickly. (I don't know Paul other than reading his posts, so don't call me his lackey.)

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

To the core. Fired good guy John O'Malley a while back during a cutback binge, and I'm not sure that was the most recent fulltime sports division chop. And before the cutbacks, when it was a Howard paper, it was a sweatshop. Seventy-plus hour weeks, no overtime. Venture their way carefully.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Wasn't this a damn good paper 10-12 years ago?

Sad, very sad.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I feel bad for anyone working at a Lee paper right now. Godspeed, all.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yes and yes.

10. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Sooo, young guys shouldn't apply?

11. spud

spud Member

I'd say young guys are the only guys that should apply.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

From the way it sounds, I'm not sure anyone should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.