1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, the Patriot-News, Harrisburg, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sports writer, The Patriot-News, Harrisburg, Pa.

Seeking sports writer who’s always thinking enterprise as he/she goes about covering high schools, colleges and minor league sports for 78,000 daily (125,000 Sunday) in central Pennsylvania. We’re a 2009 APSE award-winner for top 10 Sunday section and top 10 special section that prides itself in not only covering more than 50 high schools in our region, but also serving as the ranking authority on prep sports in the state. We blend those beats with national stories and more focused coverage on Philly and Pittsburgh sports and local and national auto racing. Show me what you’ve done and ways to integrate your skills into what we do daily here. Need ability to execute stories in print and online. Send resume, samples of best work to pvigna@pnco.com.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice gig, and probably the best paper in the state in terms of prep coverage.

Any ideas on salary?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Terrific gig - not sure on salary

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

No shortage of unemployed sports writers in PA. ::)

5. Have dealt in limited capacities with the folks in Harrisburg, but they've always been helpful. I know they're going to miss Rod Frisco, but there are more than capable people to fill his shoes.

I'd be curious if this gig involves the high school wrestling beat, because District 3 is loaded with future Division I talent.

6. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Paul Vigna is as good as it gets in this business. Prince of a guy, and a real pro.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

All things considered, you won't find many better 70,000 circ. papers to land at. You're within three hours of five major U.S. cities (Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, D.C., New York), including two that the Patriot-News will occasionally parachute in and cover (Philly is about two hours, Pittsburgh about three). You are an hour-and-a-half away from State College. The Patriot-News is the paper of record for the tremendous Central Pa. sports scene. And Harrisburg isn't the worst town to live in if you are young and single.

8. Did a internship in Harrisburg...

Loved. It.

Loved the women....I struck gold on a regular basis

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Indeed a good place to work or live if you want to. Lot of unemployed PA journalists to pick from for this opening.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gee, where have I heard that before, D_B? Five posts up from yours?

11. cs2823

cs2823 New Member

This opening comes shortly after the buyouts of a few people who have been at the Patriot for quite a while. Shedding themselves of the people with higher salaries and then bringing in someone for cheaper I suppose. It's a twisted business.

Harrisburg is a nice city -- not too big and not too small. Plenty to do. There's some awfully sketchy parts of town, as can be said about any city. All in all a cool place to be especially for a young single person.

Patriot does a nice job. Their sports section is unique because they do a tabloid style --- like a 10x12 or so that inserts inside of the rest of the paper, which is of traditional size.

Great area for prep football, basketball and of course wrestling.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

slappy, will you post the same thing that cs2823 wrote?

Draft saved Draft deleted