1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- The (Grants Pass, Ore.) Daily Courier

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, May 18, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Grants Pass Daily Courier is seeking a sports writer to join its award-winning staff in the scenic and recreation-rich Rogue Valley of Oregon. We’re looking for an enthusiastic reporter who can turn a phrase and refuses to churn out dull copy. Our attempt is to emphasize human beings first and numbers and stats second. The successful candidate will provide at least one column and feature per week, staff games, work desk and write an occasional enterprise piece. Knowledge of Quark is desired, but not mandatory. We have seven high schools in our coverage area, along with Southern Oregon University. The successful candidate also will have the opportunity to delve into University of Oregon and Oregon State football, although UO and OSU are not our first priority. The Daily Courier is a 15,000-circulation, family-owned newspaper. We offer a competitive salary, employee-paid medical, profit sharing and more. Send your resume, cover letter, two columns, two features and one game story to Sports Editor Lance Ogden at logden@thedailycourier.com by June 5.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1255835

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lance seems like a good guy.

Not a real good place to live.

3. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

I've lived near the area, my grandparents live up on Woodson Dr. Grants Pass isn't the greatest city by itself, but the area is very fun with (as they always say) great outdoor activities. Medford has a bit more life and Ashland is a decent college-ish town.

Plus, it's SOOOO close to Tahoe!

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lived 2 years in Medford and also did a heavy amount of coverage in Ashland, a little in GP. Ashland seemed more lively, maybe because of the university, the Shakespeare Festival or whatever. GP has a lot of outdoors stuff nearby. Did the Rogue River thing once.

Paper is about what one would expect. Heavy on preps, youth sports, etc.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Ashland is sweet. Not big on the rest of the area, though it might appeal to someone more interested in less populated cities. Still pretty close to big west coast cities if you have a reason to go to them.

6. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

I also forgot, the local mascot - the Cavemen - is the second greatest mascot in high school sports. I'll let you guess what's No. 1.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

The Cairo Syrupmakers?

8. D-K

D-K New Member

The Watersmeet Nimrods?

9. scribbler

scribbler Member

Smackover (Ark.) Buckaroos?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, Eugene is three hours, Portland is close to five hours away. Bay area is at least six, depending on where you're heading. Not pretty close, in my terms anyway.

11. johann

johann Guest

The Wofford Terrorists?

12. superhater

superhater Member

Well, unless it's other Cavemen (and I'm sure Mishawaka, Ind. isn't the only other one)...I would hope you're referring to the Millionaires of Lenox, Massachusetts.

Draft saved Draft deleted