1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Evening Sun, Hanover, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by standard, Aug 21, 2009.

1. standard

standard New Member

The Evening Sun is seeking a sports writer to complete its three-person staff. Candidates must display knowledge of sports, ability to complete assignments on deadline and a willingness to get the whole story. Because the production of The Evening Sun is done by a sister newspaper, work is primarily limited to writing and, on assigned days, completing a budget of stories for inclusion on the sports pages. The Evening Sun covers 10 high schools, two small colleges (Gettysburg and McDaniel colleges) and community events. There may be opportunity to cover some professional events as The Evening Sun, a seven-day daily, is located one hour north of Baltimore and one hour south of Harrisburg, Pa. Letters of interest, resumes and references may be submitted to Chuck Curley at ccurley@eveningsun.com or to 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, Pa., 17331-0514.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I interviewed here once. Two former regulars on the board had gigs here recently. I've heard nothing but bad things about this place and it points to one person.

I don't know who just quit or this is getting the department back up to speed since they laid off a sports writer a while back. Pay is less than $25k and you can cover the big teams in Baltimore on your own time.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I used to work around that area and I could've sworn the Sun staff was much larger than three people. So either I'm mistaken or they've done some serious bushwacking there. I do know that they used to print their own stuff but recently started having it printed elsewhere, as the ad mentioned. Don't know if that's a red flag of a shop being on the edge of the plank or not.

4. spud

spud Member

On its own, this is not a red flag.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just a warning that they don't pick up interview expenses or help with moving.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is not a horrible place to work, and there are worse places to live. You can do Philly in under three hours if you have a lead foot (I've done it). York handles the production now, as the ad alludes to, so you won't have to deal with that. Chuck is a touch eccentric, but he really isn't a bad guy. (I've dealt with him off and on over the years, and he always has been OK to deal with.) I hear some folks who have worked with him aren't fans, but you'll have conflicts anywhere.

Stitch is right, though, no help on relocation. I was offered here about two years ago, and that was the deal breaker for me, even though I wanted to move back to the area.

7. standard

standard New Member

Thanks to all who have applied for this position. We are having to make a decision very quickly because of the timing of the departure of our one sports writer, so we're suspending the receipt of applications until we get a decision on the direction the sports department's taking. That should occur early next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted