1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, The Cullman (Ala.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The paper is fine. She'll get a new job and the wy this business is going, she may have done herself a tremendous favor.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i've sent more than one resume from my work email ... created my resume with my work's quark. don't really see what the big deal is. i've given each one of my place's of work plenty of my time, and it's not like i billed them for the time i spent sending those emails or creating that resume.

and i'm with black dude on this one: two weeks is two weeks. why is there a special set of rules just because we're freakin' sports journalists for god's sake?

3. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Fairly certain she had a job when she left. Don't know where, but I can tell you the paper is wishing they had someone in her position to fill those 9000 schools they cover for football. (Okay, it's only 14-ish, but that's a lot for 2 people)

For the record, I was told the notice was only two weeks. I don't see any reason for more than two weeks, either. But leaving a rural paper at football time is just wrong and disrespectful to co-workers, IMO.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I disagree. They'll fire your ass whenever they want, so you don't owe them anything more than the standard notice.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

If I were an editor, I would look at that and say, "No, thanks. Who knows if you'll leave me at crunch time." Just my opinion. I won't be hiring any sports writers here any time soon. LOL

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. Or used to be. But as someone else said, that street doesn't seem to run both ways. I've seen people get laid off during football season, right before state tournaments, etc. Suits don't care. Whether or not you choose to is up to you.

I had to leave a job with virtually no notice at all because my father was dying in a distant city all alone and I needed to be there. Turns out if I had waited two weeks, it would have been even more of a mess. I figure if that turns out to be my very last job (newspaper or otherwise), so be it. Everyone has to decide what is important in their own life.

7. Why bust the woman's chops for leaving a crappy paper? Sorry, but anyone who thinks she owed the paper anything more than giving notice is an asshole. The paper is lucky she gave notice.

8. Didn't some paper fire your ass for making a mistake? LOL. I guess you can't be counted on, either.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Work a two weeks notice. That's all an employer should ask of you. I've been very fortunate to have several employees work three weeks, and that was with them keeping me apprised of their job hunt. This is a business. And if you can make more money or be happier somewhere else, then go for it, regardless of when football season starts.

Emailing applications from a work email address is unprofessional and, quite frankly, lazy. You can't take the 2 minutes it takes to set up a gmail or yahoo account? Why would anybody hire you if you can't do that?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

CORRECTION: I corrected my earlier post to accurately read "I've seen people get laid off during football season....."

However, the original "I've seen people get laid during football season....." is true as well.

(need a copy editor to edit my posts, but he's on furlough this week)

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Maybe she thought she'd get a pink slip in December when pigskin season ends so she wanted to beat them to the punch.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, you email me from your work account to apply for a job, I ain't hiring you. (To be fair, I'm not a hiring manager, so what do I know.) If you'll do it at your last job, I have to assume you'll do it at a new one.

On the other note, if she left for nothing at all -- just quit just because -- then yeah, that's a stupid move, particularly right before football season. Not because she owes the paper anything, but because (a) she makes herself look unreliable and (b) she misses an opportunity to build some kind of clip file.

Then again, maybe she got a taste of what working at a newspaper, particularly a small, local newspaper, is really like, rather than what they make it out to be in J-school, and she decided oh wait, this kinda sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted