1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Sullivan, Ill

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From journalismjobs.com

Sports reporter needed for weekly newspaper in East Central Illinois. We are seeking someone who has worked in sports writing, not news writing. Recent college graduates who have excelled in sports writing on their college newspapers will be considered. The position needs to be filled by mid November.

Job responsibilities include covering high school varsity sports, taking photos, developing feature stories on the players and follow ups on local players who are now participating in sports in college, developing stories on sports related issues, covering some junior high events if the teams win sectionals/regionals or state and writing sports related news announcements. Some feature stories outside of sports may be assigned but the focus of the job will be sports.

We recently added a sports blog onto our Web page where readers can go for score updates and blogs about sports topics.

Because the candidate will be dealing with schools and parents, a friendly, patient and easy going personality is required. Time management and organizational skills as well as the ability to meet deadlines are a must.

The job hours will be nights and there will be some Saturdays involved. During the summer, a variety of sports related articles will be required to keep full time status as schools are not in session.

The position could evolve into a sports editor role.

Send a resume, five clips and photo work to: 100 W. Monroe St. Sullivan, Illinois 61951

or email the information to newspro@newsprogress.com

No phone calls or unannounced office visits.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Exactly who is barging into the building unannounced?

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Considering that there can't be more than 10 buildings in Sullivan, IL, that is a pretty apt question.

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

14 if you count the Hardee's.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Illinois has a JUNIOR HIGH state tournament?

6. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Actually, yes. It's obviously not as large the high school tournaments, but they have a variety of different sports, such as fall baseball/softball, winter basketball and spring track and field, and those are just the ones that I know of.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

My first assignment at my first job was the Illinois Junior High track and field state finals.

It sucked.

8. afsports2007

afsports2007 New Member

What does no one want to say if anyone who works here is "good people?" ::)

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Why do you hate English as a first language, afsports?

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I dined in that Hardees, just a few weeks ago. I enjoyed my thickburger while the manager, awfully full of self-importance for someone working at a fucking Hardees, pulled her hair out arguing with some high school kid who couldn't have cared less.

Good times. But if you can make it to Mattoon, do so and find the original Burger King (no relation). Beats the hell out of Hardees.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Then go a bit further down the road to Charleston, home of the original Jimmy John's.

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Now that's the right answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted