1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Stillwater, OK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

People will apply for this job, that's a given. However, with the turnover as significant as they have had over the last year and all the horror stories that I am hearing out of this paper they may not want to get this job.
    The industry is dying, this I understand, and there is a large group of people wanting to get some work, also something I understand, but this paper is the cookie-cutter of why we are all starting to fall apart. A management that doesn't trust, and actively attacks employees, zero compensation for good work (in the form of raises or at least praises) and a mission that doesn't capitalize on what they have (OSU should be No. 1 on everyone's list, but I think the addition of community sports to the ad tells me otherwise).
    However, what do I know, I just lived outside of Stillwater for almost a year and worked with good people from that paper who have moved on and keep telling me bad things about this paper.

2. Does anyone have any insight on how much coverage of OK State the position would allow? I'm at a small paper, though with a bigger staff, but am pretty much only involved with high schools. I see it's only a three-person staff and wonder if it's worthwhile to try to make a move here in order to cover higher-profile D-I sports.

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

People will apply, even people with experience and with a job. It's a job that sounds a lot more appealing than apparently it is. You'll probably just get the same thing again. Someone will get tired of it and move on in a year or less.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This can't be Stillwater's main news source...can it?

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Is Rick Hoover still in Stillwater? He was my first newspaper boss. Graduated a semester early to take a job with him, a month later he announced he was going to Stillwater.

6. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

No, he was forced out over a year ago and that place has only gotten worse since then. I believe he's at a paper in South Dakota now.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Oh man...I didn't see the part at the end about sending samples of your "best" work...I sent them my mediocre clips...I'll have to reapply :)

Draft saved Draft deleted