1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Starkville, MS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 26, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

IS that including tip?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A gem?

You must not've seen much of the state.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's always interesting to watch people post here about places they've either never been to, or were just there for a gameday.
    They drove to at a quickstop to fill up the tank and maybe ate at one restaurant.
    After that, they are qualified to pass judgement.

Listen, if you haven't spent a few weeks in a row, picking up on the day-to-day experiences, or if you haven't lived somewhere for a elongated period ...

STFU

All a lot of you do around here is post-pad with jibberish such as moondoggy or several others have done on this and many other threads.
    (Not to pick on moondoggy alone ... there are several folks who post-pad and say noting of substance around here.)

4. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I feel really bad now :) <blatant post-pad>

5. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I was not trying to discount the state's natural beauty. I meant Starkville is a gem compared to the rest of Mississippi because it's a college town, and therefore is better off than most other towns in the state. Anyone been to Greenville lately?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

While listening on the Net to the Mississippi State at Ole Miss, third-game of weekend finale, which is 1-1 in the 12th, I'll respond.
    I worked in Greenville as editor back a decade ago. The city has suffered, like so many other Delta towns, from white flight.
    Once segregation was imposed back in 1969-70, the whites began their exodus to other places, often rural, outside of the towns themselves.
    Cleveland's about the best thing still going in the Mississippi Delta. Helps that it's a college town and they are not completely without problems, mind you.
    But Greenville, yes, is struggling. The downtown is boarded up (not, though, to the extent of places like Marks or Shaw) and lots of businesses have closed.
    Cities like Jackson, Tupelo, Hattiesburg, Meridian, Grenada, or smaller towns like Kosciusko, Batesville, New Albany, Waynesboro, McComb, and the grand old Coast are representations that Mississippi is doing just as fine as lots of other states in the USA.
    Spend some time, non-Mississippi residents, in Starkville or Oxford and you will see some charm, I promise.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Don't try, Blitz.

They've all seen Deliverance.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

FINAL SCORE UPDATE:

In 17 innings:
    MSU 4, Ole Miss 1

Rebels won first two games of series, though. Both teams will likely remain ranked this week in the national polls.

(Carry on with original thread theme)

Draft saved Draft deleted