1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer Rocky Mount NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gene Metrick, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Gene Metrick

Gene Metrick New Member

Sports Writer: The Rocky Mount Telegram is seeking a sports writer to cover local high school and regional ACC college athletics. Journalism degree preferred and recent J-school grads with strong clips are encouraged to apply. Come work in a fun, fast-paced environment in our new offices in the Rocky Mount Mills mixed-use development along the Tar River. To apply, send letter of interest, resume and clips to Editor Gene Metrick at gmetrick@rmtelegram.com or PO Box 1080, Rocky Mount, NC 27802. Adams Publishing Group Eastern North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. JoshWalfish

JoshWalfish New Member

I cannot recommend this position highly enough. Started my career there five years ago and Gene is still the best editor I've worked for to date. One thing Gene didn't mention in this ad is the famous athletes that hail from the area. You'll get a chance to cover Tarboro High School football, which has produced NFL stars Todd Gurley and Tyquan Lewis as well as former greats Kelvin Bryant and Shaun Draughn. Edgecombe County also is the home of Montrezl Harrell while Rocky Mount is home of Angels outfielder Brian Goodwin.

Email me josh.walfish@gmail.com if you have any questions.

3. Is this still available?

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Lots of famous folks from the Nash County side of the tracks, too -- and that's LITERALLY meaning the railroad tracks that run down the middle of the city and separate the two counties -- like Phil Ford, Buck Williams and Julius Peppers.

I last set foot in the building in 2017 to see Gene and Jeff Herrin (RIP), and last put out a section in anger there in 1999. Lot has changed, but a lot hasn't. Sports is still considered integral to the paper and the publisher still believes that. You can learn the craft, win North Carolina Press Association awards there and build your resume.

C.L. Brown and Jeff Gluck are just two of the guys who cut their teeth at the Tele-Lie and went on to the big time. RMT alums are all over the country, including retired ones in Georgia.

5. wfl

wfl New Member

I was one of Josh’s teammates at the Telegram a few years ago and can’t say enough good things about it, either. Even though much has changed since I left, it’s still one of the best places to cut your teeth anywhere in the country. Great athletes, great coaches, nice people and tons of interesting games and rivalries to cover (high school and college).

If you don’t like the Cubs, well... you might be SOL (or at least don’t tell Gene)

6. @Gene Metrick is this position still available? I'm interested in working with your organization, but I want to know before sending the stuff that you asked for in your initial post.

7. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Gee, I wonder if it's still open! Or no, I'm sure they filled it in the space of 16 entire days

Tyler and JM22720 like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can you swing by town this week to help cover the playoffs? YOU'RE HIRED!

tonygunk likes this.
  9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Could the post have been the first-ever, is there still time to apply and any update on this one combined post? Trend?

tonygunk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted