1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jessie H. Nunery, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Jessie H. Nunery

Jessie H. Nunery New Member

The Rocky Mount (N.C.) Telegram, an award-winning daily, seeks a talented journalist with strong writing, reporting, editing and design skills for its Sports department. This position is for an aggressive, hard-working individual who regularly meets lofty goals. The position requires someone who is versatile, able to handle an assortment of different duties. We cover all levels -- recreational to professional -- and have beat writers for North Carolina State, North Carolina and Duke who also cover 11 high schools, the local Division III college, Double-A Carolina Mudcats, and occasionally the Carolina Hurricanes and Carolina Panthers. The staff also shares page design duties. There are three full-time members of the department. Must have strong grammar and fact-checking abilities, and must be familiar with AP style. InDesign experience is a plus. Must work well on deadline and be ready to work nights and weekends. Must have a college degree. Must have a good understanding of the digital movement and how to prioritize the Internet as a medium. Multimedia experience is a plus. Most alumni have moved on to larger, prominent newspapers/publications.

Send resume, cover letter, references and four to six diverse clips to show a spectrum of writing skills. Two to three tear sheets, showing design skills, are preferred as well.
    Clips may be sent by e-mail or regular mail.

Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

We are looking to fill this position immediately.

Jessie H. Nunery
    Sports Editor
    Rocky Mount Telegram
    1000 Hunter Hill Road
    P.O. Box 1080
    Rocky Mount, NC 27802
    jhnunery@rmtelegram.com

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Look back on this board about what Rocky Mount has done for young reporters. This place is a great stepping stone job and the area is really nice. I lived in a two a county away and covered things beside members of the Telegram. Good people. This is a great job for someone looking to get their first break.

3. Judging by this ad, it looks like you'd need to work hard but it'd be well-rewarded. With only three writers, if they have someone covering Duke, UNC and NC State, that's one writer per school, plus you have the additional responsibilities. It'd be a quick adjustment for a new writer, but if you can make the adjustment, it seems like you're in a good spot.

4. I applied for a job there a few years back and came away pretty impressed with its reputation and what a couple of the past and present writers there then had to say about it.

I believe this AppGrad worked here at one point and he had good things to say about it when I PM'ed him at the time.

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I bet they do what we did down in Wilson, and that's have someone go to every home game for the three schools, but they are not a "beat" where you are there everyday grinding out stories. It's a clip factory for sure, and you will get good stuff both writing and design.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. The Telegram is still bringing it as well as anyone of its circulation in the region - and bettering some of the bigger competitors - but "beat writing" won't be at the expense of preps. Still plenty of that to do in Nash and surrounding counties.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Worked there for a little more than two wonderful years with Ben Jones, Jessie and AppGrad, and enjoyed just about every day. A wonderful job and an affordable city with its ups and downs. Highly recommended for a first, second or even third job. Jessie will push you to grow as a writer if you want to grow.

Also, for any folks who wind up interviewing in person or -- lucky you -- get the gig, make sure to have a couple of cheeseburgers and a Coke at Central Cafe.

8. mjlindsay

mjlindsay New Member

I interviewed there several years ago before taking a similar job nearby in Wilson. It certainly seemed like a good, energetic place to work. So, now that I'm not competing with them anymore, I'd certainly recommend the guys at the Telegram to anyone looking at this job.

To echo what Precious Roy said, I wouldn't expect to be following Duke, State and UNC much outside the Triangle, but if you're driven to be part of the ACC crowd, you certainly can be. While I was in Wilson, I'd see the Telegram at a reasonable number of ACC games (including the tournament) but far more often at prep games.

The Telegram (particularly with Jessie as SE) did a good job of hitting the games that needed to be covered while also dropping in features, notebooks and columns where needed. (Perfect for someone young looking to make a name for himself/herself.) I don't know who left, but Jessie, Trevor and Nick were all personable and professional, in my experience. So, yeah, it'd certainly be worth applying.

9. BU264

BU264 New Member

I'm the one who will be leaving the Telegram for a new job in the Washington D.C. area, and I can only second and reinforce what others have said about the paper -- both on this thread and threads in the past.

It's a fantastic place to work, especially for a young journalist who wants to improve their writing and reporting skills. Great atmosphere. Great coverage spectrum. Great office culture. Great people. Great burgers at Central Cafe.

Jessie is a very skilled, patient editor who will help improve your writing, as well as your ability to discover important and interesting stories in the community. It's an excellent position.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything more about the job, the area, etc., etc.

10. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Similar to other posters, I interviewed there a few years back, and was rather impressed with the office and the people there. I always regretted that they moved a bit too slow for me and I had to go with another offer before hearing back from them. It seemed like the kind of place that would have served me well.

11. I've known Jesse since he was in college trying to break into the industry, and I can say without any hesitation that he is as nice and classy a guy as you'll meet in this industry. Rocky Mount offers some nice diversity in coverage to a young reporter. You'll grind away on the preps beat, though it's good for developing your fundamentals. But then you'll get rewarded with chances to cover the ACC as well. It's a great situation for someone new to the business to be in, and you'll work under a top-notch guy while doing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted