1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, pottsville, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 13, 2006.

1. boots

boots New Member

The REPUBLICAN & Herald, a 28,000/daily, 41,000/Sunday morning paper in Eastern Pennsylvania is seeking an energetic, experienced and motivated sportswriter to join our staff. The candidate must have a passion for high school and youth-level sports, experience working at a morning newspaper under deadline pressure and be efficient in writing, editing, layout and pagination. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Sports Editor Leroy Boyer, REPUBLICAN & Herald, 111 Mahantongo Street, Pottsville, Pa. 17901 or contact via e-mail at Lboyer@republicanherald.com. Deadline is June 26.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Pottsville has at least two high schools — Pottsville High and the ultra-tony Hill School — but what else does the R & H cover regularly? Does the paper venture out to Philadelphia much, or at least cover any of the area's four minor league baseball teams (Harrisburg, Reading, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Williamsport)? The Little League World Series, maybe?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Dino covered the Eagles -- and he gladly informed the SE that he'd be writing a weekly column on them.

Since he fled for Taunton, I don't know what they do anymore.

4. mapFanatic

mapFanatic Member

Yuengling's got you covered. ;)

5. pubscribe

pubscribe New Member

We cover 25 high schools in Schuylkill, Carbon, Northumberland, Berks and Dauphin counties, the Reading Phillies, Penn State football, NASCAR races at Pocono and occasionally venture into the Philadelphia pro sports. We'll cover some of the Eastern Pennsylvania D2 and D3 colleges for local features, and Bucknell men's basketball, since their head coach is from Pottsville. Part of Times Shamrock Corporation, so we work together with Scranton, Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice, Towanda and Shamokin on certain projects/events.

Note: The Hill School is in Pottstown, not Pottsville.

6. boots

boots New Member

Wasn't there an opening there about 6 months ago. What happened.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I hung out with the SE, Leroy Boyer, on various assignments years ago. Good guy.

Some people in Pa. are not pleased with Times-Shamrock, as they see it becoming a regional media conglomerate. I read about this initially with the Times Leader thinking about buying the Citizen's Voice, or whatever's going on up there these days in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mmmmm Yuengling.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'd rather have Times-Shamrock owning my paper (W-B notwithstanding) than many of the other chains out there. There's far worse to work for.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I know nothing of the chain itself as far as bennies, pay, etc., just mentioning what I had seen.

11. PSU_05

PSU_05 New Member

The company is cheap as all hell, a lot of things are run so half assed it's not even funny and the SE there can be a pain in the ass to work with or for. Trust me on that.

That said the High School sports in the area is usually good to cover, it's "coal region" football, which is always popular in PA, the basketball is OK, they don't handle outsiders too well and be prepared to get talked down too and they will try to shove you aside if you are better than they are.

12. Keystone

Keystone Member

Actually, Leroy is a good guy who really cares about the product and his staff reflects that. The section has gotten a lot better since he replaced Schulte. And not having Dino giving his two cents on the Eagles makes it even better.

You won't get rich working there (but who gets rich in this business), but it's a very cheap place to live and not too isolated.

Prep football is king -- Pottsville High made the Class AAA championship game last fall -- and the area has very good girls basketball and softball teams.

I think anyone can thrive in this environment as long as they have the right attitude.

Draft saved Draft deleted