1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Portland, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, May 9, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

A versatile reporter with a passion for community news, sports writing and photography needed for fast-growing weekly newspaper located in Portland, Tenn. The Portland Progressive – founded in 2005 – is one of four newspapers owned by Rural Newspapers, Inc., which are all located in northern Middle Tennessee, within close driving distance of Nashville, Tenn., and Bowling Green, Ky. Portland is the hometown of University of Florida men's basketball star Corey Brewer, who was named the NCAA Tournament's Most Valuable Player in April after the Gators won their second national championship in a row. This position offers above average pay and a competitive health insurance benefits package. Duties include reporting, sports and news writing, photography, pagination and headline writing. Familiarity with Macintosh OS 10, InDesign and Photoshop preferred. Must be willing to relocate to Portland, Tenn., area. The Portland Progressive does not currently have a website but one is in the works. Call Lisa Gregory (Publisher), Daniel Suddeath (Editor) or John Cook (CEO) at (615) 325-3001 for more information. Resumes and clips may be e-mailed to pprogressive@bellsouth.net, faxed to (615) 325-7005, or mailed to The Portland Progressive, P.O. Box 427, Portland, TN 37148.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they had me until they told me i had to relocate to the town the newspaper actually prints in.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Isn't it just a little ironic for a paper to be named the Progressive and not have a Web site?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And here I thought there were only Portlands along both coasts.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clutch, clutch stuff.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This ad seems to say that because it is Corey Brewer's hometown, it is a great job.

Uh, that's all I need to hear. I'm sold.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Other than Corey Brewer, that team was horrible. I saw them play several times against out-of-state small schools. They lost all of those games.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

that does it. clutchcargo, you're hired!

Draft saved Draft deleted