1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/paginator in Taunton, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

I used to freelance for this paper a few years back. Trust me when I say this, this paper is definitely bush league at best. They owed me months and months of back pay from so many articles and the EIC there didn't even seem to care (it's the same guy by the way). He made it known that me staying on top of him to make sure I got what was owed to me was indeed putting him out. I had to actually call the Gatehouse Corporate office and go through them to get my money. Sure, it was only $500 or so, but still, they owed it to me!

2. Good Luck Cadet

Good Luck Cadet New Member

First off, the Brockton paper is nowhere close to 15 minutes away. Second, Dino really isn't a bad guy. But with that said, Taunton is a pretty tough area and the high school sports there aren't that great. You can get by on the pay, but it surely won't be in luxury. Not sure who the SE is there right now, any ideas?

3. actually, i just mapped it, between the offices of both papers, and it's 16 minutes -- they're both off route 24.

secondly, i have never, ever, ever, ever heard anyone say anything nice about dino, who backstabs his sports staff and steals beats from them. are you dino? that's the only logical explanation. ask some people in pottsville what they thought of dino.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Mapped a traffic free Rte. 24.....in other words, fantasy land

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Dino must really suck.

$25K anywhere in that part of the country would suck for anything other than part-time wages.

6. yes, many of your hypothetical drives would be in a peak traffic crunch, like, say, 6 p.m.

it's 14.5 miles door-to-door between the papers. i tossed 15 minutes out there, which is pretty accurate in non-rush-hour traffic.

this all takes away from the basic point, which is the gazette could be shut down at any point, especially if gatehouse has another big debt payment to meet. friends of mine got cut the last time that happened, in the fall, and another friend of mine got jerked around at his job as a result. i've seen it up close.

7. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

If you can't get to Brockton in 15 from Taunton you must be going the speed limit—which is about 15 mph too slow on 24.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I lived in Warren, RI, which was about 30 minutes away on $25k - At $600 for a (crappy) single bedroom, student loan payments and occasional nights out, I just got further into debt. I can't imagine living somewhat-near for anything less than $25k, and since they're advertising it as $20k to $25k, it seems like there is a good chance that would happen.

The only time I ventured into Taunton was for some summer girls' softball tournaments. They hosted them fairly regularly at a big complex with a half-dozen fields, if I recall correctly.

9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Looks like the position has been filled...

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That poor person ... and if he wasn't already poor, he soon will be at that salary.

Draft saved Draft deleted