1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/paginator in Taunton, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Company: Taunton Daily Gazette
    Position:
    Sports Writer/Paginator
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 16, 2009
    Job ID: 1061842

Description:
    SPORTS WRITER/PAGINATOR

Want to join our team? We’re seeking a sports writer with some seasoning who can cover a game just as well as writing a player profile. You’ll also be called upon to produce pages in the sports section so sound editing and pagination skills are essential. If you possess a strong work ethic, a healthy dose of enthusiasm, a great sense of humor and love to embrace challenges, then our sports staff and award-winning newspaper is the team you want to join. We’re the Taunton Daily Gazette, a daily newspaper located in the heart of Massachusetts, within 30 miles of Cape Cod, Boston and Providence, R.I. Please email your resume to Editor Dino F. Ciliberti at dciliberti@tauntongazette.com, or send to 5 Cohannet St., P.O. Box 111, Taunton, Mass. 02780.

2. esport12

esport12 Member

When I lived in the area, my recollection is that the Daily Gazette was a decent paper for its size. Haven't been up there in a while though. But I'm not sure 25K is livable in that area... at all.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This paper is not what is used to be. There has been a lot of turmoil there. I know its a gig, but just be careful.

4. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

Just a resume? No clips, pages that I've designed, or should I just assume that those should be included with the resume?

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Sometimes papers ask for resume first, then choose a few out of those that apply to have them send clips. This has happened a few times to me lately.

6. esport12

esport12 Member

Is this Gatehouse?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

No, Poor House. You can't even afford Ramen on that salary there.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

BYH hasn't seen this yet, has he...

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I can probably provide some insight here via PM.

10. AVSE

AVSE Member

Pick a paper, any paper, and apply this sentence liberally.

11. you're not covering the boston teams, they'll get that from another gatehouse paper.

you're not covering any of the boston colleges, few care about bu or bc in taunton. maybe you'll get a bc story from gatehouse.

you're not covering providence college or the pawsox/p-bruins, since you're not that close.

there's a shot your paper could be shut down at any minute and merged into the brockton enterprise, based 15 minutes away -- wait, that won't happen, since it would require gatehouse putting you into the brockton union. so they would just shut the paper down totally and tell you to go screw.

and you have to deal with that asshole dino, who once wrote a column in his old stomping grounds (pottsville, pa, iirc) that he was stripping the sports editor of any chance of covering the eagles and was doing it himself. must enjoy the press-box buffet.

any other questions?

12. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

I don't know much about the shop itself but I've lived in the town next door my whole life.

25k would be livable there. You can easily find an apartment for around 500/month and under and the property values have dropped enough recently that a two bedroom runs around 230 right now.

Like every other paper in this part of MA they mostly do high school coverage. There's two high schools in the city, Coyle Cassidy and Taunton High, then there's five or so parochial schools and all the public schools that play in the area. Other than the occasional game in Martha's Vineyard or New Bedford none of the teams play more than 30 minutes away.

There's no pro coverage there, though, unless it has a real local angle. I know the Enterprise does some but if Fenton ever moves on I don't know if Gatehouse would even replace him, given their difficulties lately.

It wouldn't be bad at all for a young person starting out but I wonder if they're looking for someone more experienced. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted