1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Oneonta, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 23, 2007.

1. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Fresh to jjobs:

Company: The Daily Star
    Position: Sports Writer
    Job Status:Full-time
    Salary:Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 26, 2007

Description:
    Full-time Sports Writer

The Daily Star is accepting applications for a full-time sports writer. Experience in writing, reporting and layout mandatory. Experience in photography and Adobe InDesign a plus. Duties include but are not limited to covering local sports events, editing local and national copy and designing sports pages on a nightly basis. The Daily Star covers the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, the National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, the Single-A Oneonta Tigers, the AMA Motocross Championships, 30 high schools, four colleges and a plethora of other local events. Nights and weekends are mandatory, as is residing within The Daily Star’s coverage area. Pay commensurate with experience. Anyone interested in this position should mail at minimum a cover letter, a resume and five clips illustrating competence in writing and layout to The Daily Star, c/o Dean Russin, Sports Editor, P.O. Box 250, Oneonta, NY 13820. E-mails and phone calls will not be accepted.

---

Good place for any newbie to start, or anyone in the biz looking for their second stop.

Oneonta is close to Cooperstown, and sits in central NY between Binghamton and Albany. Not a bad spot, and very scenic. The city itself has the feel/look of a college town. And with Dean your SE there are much, much worse places to work - he's a stand-up guy respected around the state.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I saw this last night... why no e-mails?

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] Sports writers having to work nights and weekends? Who knew?[/blue]

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Just passed through there on vacation... beautiful country. Oh yeah, Cooperstown is just right up the road. :)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great area, and this paper passionately covers its local sports. Plus you get to do several cool stories a year on the Baseball HOF.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wish the heartbreakers didn't like to eat or drink and that they didn't take stuff like new clothes, coats, shoes, and heat for that matter, for granted.

i'd love to live there.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Don't forget about the Oneonta Tigers of the NY-P League that play in that jewel known as Damaschke Field.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The paper's editor, Sam Pollak, was a big-city sports guy: New Orleans, Dallas, Cleveland.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

This paper has produced a lot of big-time talent.

10. I was just going to ask whether Sam was still there.

11. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

I worked at the Star from 1987-88, but not in sports. It was my first break to work for a daily. I was the one-person desk that designed the main section, edited the copy and wrote the headlines. Needless to say it was a lot of pressure. As a bachelor in my mid-20s at the time it was a fun place to be at night and weekends with two colleges (plus no Sunday paper). Brooks bbq was probably one of the best places I have ever eaten. Add the Hall of Fame and minor-league baseball in the summer. It didn't pay much but the editor at the time (Ken Hall) reeled me in when I could have been lost.

Phil Kaplan
    Deputy sports editor
    Knoxville News Sentinel

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Agreed completely. Did a school internship there and a summer job about 3 or 4 years ago. Dean is a terrific editor and will stand up for you. Also there is good prep sports, the Baseball and Soccer HOFs nearby and short-season A baseball.

If the timing was a little different, I would be all over this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted