1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Odessa, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Odessa American is seeking a sports writer to join our five-person staff to cover everything from football and other high school sports to college athletics and several minor-league professional franchises in the ever-growing Permian Basin. Page design skills are a must along with ability to work online and with social media. Please submit a cover letter and work examples to sports editor Chris Gove at cgove@oaoa.com. Applicants are required to take a drug test and a criminal background check.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Gove = good. Odessa = flat.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of pump jacks and tumbleweeds.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and rednecks.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Gove is a great guy to work for, but I hope the pay has gone up quite a bit. With the new oil boom Odessa/Midland is one of the most expensive places in Texas to live right now. It is cheaper to rent an apartment in Dallas/Ft Worth than Odessa/Midland right now. Last I heard, hotels there are 100% full every night Monday-Friday.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

last i heard an average apt. is running about a grand a month.

7. Tarheel316

In Odessa???

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. yes.

9. Tarheel316

Man, that's terrible. Might as well be at a resort rather than the West Texas prairie for that kind of rent.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

thing is, TH, that's if you can find one.

11. Tarheel316

And the pay couldn't be too high. It was a Freedom shop before AIM Media bought it. Their circ is under 17K, which is really bad for a city that size.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

well, i know it was a great section about 10 years ago when it had a circ of about 28. i know their circ has been hit hard over the past few years along with everyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted