1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Midland, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Midland (Texas) Reporter-Telegram, a Hearst Corp. Newspaper (20,000 daily, 25,000 Sunday) in West Texas, is seeking a sports reporter for our award winning sports section.

We are looking for someone who can provide fresh ideas for stories, can work well on deadline and help keep the quality of our section high.

This position is primarily a writing and reporting position, but there will be some layout work with our daily agate page. This position will also cover District 3-5A football, primarily Lee High School, during the fall.

Our focus is on high school sports, especially football, but the Permian Basin’s sports scene is complemented by a Double-A baseball team, minor league hockey, indoor football, a yearly Nationwide Tour golf event, a very active local golf scene and a minor league soccer franchise. We also provide limited coverage of Texas Tech University sports.

Candidates should have a strong knowledge of AP Style, while experience with Quark Xpress, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Freehand is preferred but not required.

Experience is a plus, but recent college graduates will be considered. We plan to fill this position quickly because of the upcoming Double-A baseball season.

Please send resume, clips and layouts to:

Len Hayward, Sports Editor

201 E. Illinois Ave.

Midland, TX 79701

Len.Hayward@hearstnp.com

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Len is one of the best in the business and Midland sends plenty of young writers to the majors.

3. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Agreed, Len is great people.

4. rjfxvii

rjfxvii New Member

Anyone know the pay scale for this position?

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Who left?

And another +1 for Len, great guy, and would be a great guy to work for

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

This spot has been taken off the APSE site, so I'm guessing Len is done taking applications.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I'm hearing finalists have been announced.

8. Red-headed Man

Red-headed Man New Member

You are correct, sir. He also emailed the folks who didn't make the cut to thank them for applying.

9. AustinWriter

AustinWriter New Member

Midland is booming right now. That's my hometown and my mom still lives there. Chevron is building homes for 300 new employees.

The finding of that Wolfberry field totally revitalized the city.

That'll be a good gig for whoever gets it because when there's more money more people will give to the HS athletic programs.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

How big is the staff?

11. ARose17

ARose17 Member

It was five in sports when I was there. I think it's four now, but I'm not sure.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Maybe the writer could promote that aspect. It could be sort of a writer/solicitor position.

Draft saved Draft deleted