1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/Miami gig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rookie23, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

From Journalismnext.com

Job Description:
    The Associated Press is looking for a sports writer who also will help with the news desk editing operation in the Miami bureau.
    This newsperson will split time between helping covering South Florida's professional and college sports scene and working on the night and weekend news desk, helping report, write and edit both sports and non-sports coverage.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate excellence as a reporter, writer and editor, both in sports and news. Applicants must be fast and resourceful to handle breaking news and respond aggressively in competitive situations, both in breaking spot news and producing enterprise. The job requires excellent news judgment; the ability to work effectively under pressure; and interpersonal skills to work in a highly competitive news market. Candidates must display knowledge and interest in both general news and sports. Spanish skills are a plus. A minimum of nine months of daily deadline news experience are required.

For consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to Miami@apobs.org. AP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

Who wouldn't want to work in Miami? My resume is in for sure.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I can't say I'd ever see a "nine months of experience" line.
    Kind of funny. Should be a great gig.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pickle juice, please pick up the white courtesy phone .. Pickl..... oh, never mind.

5. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

For consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to Miami@apobs.org. AP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

Miami@apobs.org???
    That's an interesting email address.
    So why is the ad in Journalismnext and not Journalismjobs?

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think it was on journalismjobs, too.

7. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Yeah, my bad. I went to jj.com after posting and saw the ad.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

AP's been posting a ton of gigs lately. Like, half the decent non-entry-level print jobs on jjobs.com. Yet I've heard it's pretty tough to break in unless you start there. Do they actually fill these externally? Or are they just posting them publicly as some sort of formality?

9. riverrats95

riverrats95 Member

Anyone know who left and/or where they went to open up this one? I wonder if it's the Heat beat.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Someone close to me (no, it's not me) is also interested in whether AP posts jobs as a requirement or actually considers outside candidates. This person is up for a high-profile gig and wonders if it will be filled in a musical-chairs way by AP insiders.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted on Journalismjobs.com (Nov. 11)

Company: The Associated Press
    Position: Sports Writer/GA Editor, Miami
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 16, 2006
    Job ID: 701518

Description:
    The Associated Press is looking for a sports writer who also will help with the news desk editing operation in the Miami bureau. This newsperson will split time between helping covering South Florida's professional and college sports scene and working on the night and weekend news desk, helping report, write and edit both sports and non-sports coverage.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate excellence as a reporter, writer and editor, both in sports and news. Applicants must be fast and resourceful to handle breaking news and respond aggressively in competitive situations, both in breaking spot news and producing enterprise. The job requires excellent news judgment; the ability to work effectively under pressure; and interpersonal skills to work in a highly competitive news market. Candidates must display knowledge and interest in both general news and sports. Spanish skills are a plus. A minimum of nine months of daily deadline news experience are required.

For consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume and clips to 7246186@ap.contacthr.com. AP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

12. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

The musical chairs thing happens a lot with the high-profile AP gigs. The bureau chief has some say, but most of the old powerful bureau chiefs are gone and many of them now have moved around quite a bit themselves. The less experienced the bureau chief, the more influence NY exerts in who gets hired. With the number of openings lately, though, your friend could get a shot at another gig if he/she doesn't get this one. And, yes, they do post all openings to fulfill requirements, but some are truly open to outsiders, and some are not.

Draft saved Draft deleted