1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Metro New York

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MetroNY, Jan 12, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Metro is as bad in its own way as JRC. They'e gone through four editors and four publishers in two years of operations in New York.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what if your readers want you to give your employees benefits?

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know, if somebody was interested in this, Starbucks has really good benefits. I'm not sure how many hours you have to work to get them, but I've known people that have taken on a second job at Starbucks just because it had better benefits than their regular job.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I was younger and singler, I might be very tempted to take a crack at this.
    And Tomlinson is really good. Yeah, I know. Nothing to do with this. But he broke off a long one as I was typing.
    Carry on.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A few years ago (5 or less) David Sandora was one of the writers at the paper I work for. I've been on the desk for the last 6-7 years, so I've worked with him. He'll be a great guy to work for/with if you decide to go for this gig and get the job.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I was in J-school, I was told that journalists don't get second jobs due to the potential for conflict of interest.

7. A sports writer for a free commuter paper can hardly be considered a "journalist."

8. LemMan

LemMan Member

You're kidding, right?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a conflict of interest to report on the business beat and work in accounting somewhere, but I don't think covering sports and selling sweaters at the Gap should cause too many problems.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Metro is much more than a "free commuter newspaper." They do some good journalism. Is it The Washington Post? What is? Is it a free shopper? Hell no.

And I'll echo EStreet's previous post.

11. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Any word on this?

12. Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship Member

I've heard some horror stories about the Philly-based office of Metro from several people who worked there. Seems that they have a propensity for "letting people go" with no good reason, or moving their job to NY without prior warning. I'd tread lightly here, unless you're desperate to break into the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted