1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, McKinneynews.net, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Steve_Kirk

Steve_Kirk New Member

Coach DuBose,
    I know that I know that I know that you're going to win your big road game at DePauw this year. And I'm betting you find a way to beat Rhodes, as well.

Best of luck,
    Your Pal Steve

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Dang. I was going to add my two cents about working with Luke. He is indeed one of the nicer guys around. I guess his leaving makes that a moot point. And seriously, the speed at which McKinney and north Dallas is growing, while this gig may not seem like much to a lot of people, this has a lot of potential.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm just curious as to how a Web site like this survives and hires such top-notch people like Kirk. Maybe I'm missing something here.

4. Steve_Kirk

Steve_Kirk New Member

thanks for the kind reference, wicked...Here's the skinny on this site. This is a new venture that is somewhat ahead of its time ... i.e., a local news site that is solely web-based and taking on the local newspaper. Like many web ventures, the business model is still being worked out and has changed a few times (we're now subscription-based, instead of relying on advertiser support)... Luke Gilliam, who covered preps for the Dallas Morning News, came on board 2 years ago as the managing editor and columnist. It started out as mckinneysports.net and has since expanded to include a news side.... I am forever thankful to Luke for hiring me a little over a year ago because it was a huge personal move for me -- looking for something sports-related in DFW so that I could be with my fiancee. i hate to see luke leave ... big-time.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Steve, thanks for the clarification.

At least it's been around a year. That's more than can be said for many net startups.

Draft saved Draft deleted