1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, McKinneynews.net, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

from journalism jobs:
    Company: McKinneyNews.net
    Position:
    Staff Sportswriter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    September 24, 2007
    Job ID: 817972

Description:
    SPORTSWRITER

McKinneyNews.net is seeking a talented sportswriter to join its growing staff. McKinneyNews.net is the Internet news and sports source for McKinney, Texas, the fastest-growing town in America.

Duties

The majority of this full-time position is beat coverage of a Class 4A high school as well as middle school sports and youth and adult recreation. We are seeking a writer equally adept at writing game stories on deadline, entertaining features and trend stories and hard news. Ideal candidate will have a proven track record of developing relationships to produce unique stories for readers.

Qualifications

* College degree from an accredited four-year university.

* At least one year experience at a daily or weekly publication, although will consider recent college graduate with strong background.

* Computer savvy and Internet navigation knowledge a must.

* Strong writing, proofreading, editing, reporting and interviewing skills a must.

* Commitment to accuracy and fairness under deadline pressure.

* Willingness to utilize constructive criticism

* Organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks

* Internal drive to improve

* Ability to work independently while contributing to team goals.

* Strong communication skills inside and outside the newsroom.

* Level of professionalism to represent the company in the community.

Application Details

This is a tremendous opportunity for a tenacious journalist to hone his or her skills in a fun, cutting-edge medium. No layout, minimal deskwork. Just a flexible schedule and encouragement to write, write, write.

Salary to commiserate with experience. Compensation package includes paid vacation, continuing education, cell phone allowance and mileage. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.

Please e-mail resume and no more than five writing samples in .doc or .pdf format to luke.gilliam@mckinneynews.net No phone calls.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=817972
    --------

On jjobs the "College degree from an accredited four-year university." is in wingdings. I was hoping it would have translated to the board.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

I think the ad is right:
    Salary to commiserate with experience.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

You're not going to find a nicer guy to work for than Luke Gilliam.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

McKinney used to be a neat little town till Plano overflowed.

Still an OK town, with more amenities than it used to have. It hosts the Mickey Mantle World Series every year.

But remember, this is an INTERNET job competing against a print daily already in town, and the Evil Empire ever-lurking over the southern horizon.

Beware.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

geesh ... did Steve Kirk change jobs again?

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Just kidding Steve. ;-)

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

North enough of Dallas to be safe.
    And you can get down into the city really quick.
    It's good horse-raising country up there.

8. busch

busch Member

So did Steve Kirk change jobs again?

9. Steve_Kirk

Steve_Kirk New Member

Still here, Busch, working for my new "SWAT team"... Brent Yarina left the staff to join the Big Ten Network. ... Call me when you get a break and I'll update you on the Texas online world.

10. A good "Did Steve Kirk change jobs again" joke is always worth a yuk-yuk. But methinks he's going for tenure on this one.

11. Steve_Kirk

Steve_Kirk New Member

Update: We now have a Sports Editor opening, too. Luke Gilliam, formerly of the DMN, is leaving to edit a magazine here in D...So that's two openings, one small web site, if you're scoring at home folks (or if you're by yourself.) ... And, darn straight, I'm going for tenure, and I hope 13 months qualifies.

12. busch

busch Member

Mr. Kirk,
    I'm sure it's a challenge and an opportunity for you to seek tenure with your new 'SWAT team' Best of luck

Sincerely,
    Mike DuBose

Draft saved Draft deleted