1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Madison, Wis.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Morales, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

From the Wisconsin Newspaper Association web site:

SPORTS WRITER – Unified Newspaper Group, a group of four weekly newspapers in the south suburban market of Madison, Wis., is seeking a sports writer to cover mainly high school sports for the Oregon Observer, Stoughton Courier Hub, Verona Press and Fitchburg Star. This is a 40-hour per week position, with benefits. Some nights and weekends required. Must be organized and deadline-oriented with good writing skills and thorough knowledge of sports. Copy editing and pagination ability a plus. Applicants should send resume/cover letter and at least three clips to: Jeremy Jones, 845 Market Street, Oregon, WI 53575 or email: ungsportseditor@wcinet.com

PM with any questions.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Doggone it. You had me wondering if Wisconsin State Journal was hiring. Regardless, good luck in your search, sounds like a good job for the right candidate.

3. Are you leaving, Kevin?

UNG is a nice group of papers, and WCI - as I mentioned in the Dubuque job thread - is a solid company. This is a good job.

4. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Sorry, not the State Journal. That subject title is a bit deceiving.

Yes, WSW, I am leaving. I accepted a sports writer position at the Portage Daily Register. I start Monday and I'm pretty excited.

But UNG is a good job for someone young or just starting out. You get to work in all facets - writing, photography, layout, copy editing – and you work with good people. I enjoyed my time there, it was just time to move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted