1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by George Watson, Apr 26, 2013.

1. George Watson

George Watson New Member

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal is looking for a sports writer to join our award-winning staff and handle Texas Tech sports, along with other college and high school assignments throughout the year. The top candidate can write great stories under deadline pressure, can find and write compelling feature and enterprise stories and grasps the Web … breaking stories, updating beat blogs online, using social media and comfortable using a smartphone to take photos and video. You must have daily newspaper experience (college is acceptable). If interested, please send resume, and writing samples to hr@lubbockonline.com.

If anybody has questions about this, feel free to email me at george.watson@lubbockonline.com. Otherwise, resumes and clips need to go through the HR email and those make their way to me, so please, no duplicates. gw

2. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Is this an immediate opening or filled over the summer ready for August or so?

3. George Watson

George Watson New Member

It is immediate but not pressing. I want to have someone in place hopefully by July 1 so they can become acclimated and ready to go for football season.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

is this for a specific beat at Tech?

5. George Watson

George Watson New Member

Beat will be determined by strength of the candidate. I could be No. 2 on Tech football or one of the two Tech basketball beats. Would also involve high school coverage and GAs as well.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not a bad opportunity. A-J is the dominate media outlet in a wide geographical area.

For those who have never been to the area, Lubbock and west Texas are far different from east Texas or south Texas, though. And, yes, the wind tend to blow a little bit at times.

7. jakecalhoun

jakecalhoun New Member

Any update on where you're at with the application process? This is pretty much my dream job as a soon-to-be college graduate and I feel like I would be able to bring a lot to the table.

8. So could a hundred others. Probably should save stuff like this for your cover letter (better yet, leave "bring a lot to the table" out as it does not have meaning without context.) As for what stage the paper is at in the application process, that question does not make sense. Applicants determine how far along they are in the application process. The SE determines at what stage the search for the writer is at.

9. jakecalhoun

jakecalhoun New Member

Well shoot, I feel like I've just committed a major message board faux pas. This is embarrassing. Thanks, Captain Obvious.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The SE there is one of the best people you will ever meet in this business.

11. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. It isn't like any of us use our real names on here anyway. Those at the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal will never know.

12. jakecalhoun

jakecalhoun New Member

The only thing is that I am using my real name, which I guess I shouldn't have any shame admitting considering I never use message boards and I generally try to avoid them.

But hey, getting the opportunity to eventually cover Big 12 football again is my dream job, so I have to be shameless in any opportunity I get to talk myself up. I just won't do it on a message board next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted