1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Lorain, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 28, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't know about this job. It requires you to both KNOW sports and have a PASSION for sports.

I say that as someone who worked there.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree. I used to shoot still photos while reporting on the game. But I didn't keep stats. I just used the scorekeeper's. I'm talking about pre-digital era, but I pretty much wrote down the uniform numbers after each photo so I would be able to ID them later. I also would write down some notes if it was a big play or moment in the game.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Using the scorekeeper works just great as long as you're doing short boxes. My last shop ... we did metro-style football, basketball and baseball boxes (for softball, too). Our football boxes had everything in them but time of possession.

We're being asked to do more and more. I don't see where it stops.

4. I'm pretty sure a recent grad with that experience would have this job in the bag. Even in this market. I used to work at this shop. Anyone, feel free to PM me with questions.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Asked? ASKED? Consider yourself fortunate that they're asking rather than ordering, mandating or forcing. ::)

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

It was a figure of speech .. :D

7. This is definitely a place that mandates. And it comes from those who haven't tried to pull it off.

8. ThuggishRuggish

ThuggishRuggish New Member

I think their sports editor attempted to do the beat, but that lasted a grand total of three games. Now, their sister paper, The News-Herald, has the beat, like they have the Indians, Cavaliers and Browns beats.

My advice: If you have no desire to do video or write game stories with very little quotes (if any), stay away. This sports department has had 100 percent turnover in the last year, and this is already the second person from that "new batch" that is leaving.

9. RichHensley

RichHensley New Member

Does anyone know if this job has been filled yet? I'm not wasting my time putting something together to send if it's already taken.

10. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Yeah, Rich, what good would it do to have your clips seen by a paper that has its fair share of openings? Why would you want to show off your stuff for anyone these days? ::)

11. Ed Puskas

Ed Puskas New Member

I also thought that was odd, considering some of the sports people who've come through my shop over the years first applied for news-side jobs, and vice versa. And it seems that sports jobs seem to come open in cycles. I've worked in shops where nothing changed for years at a time, and then all of sudden, there is a big turnover. It never hurts to have your stuff out there, even if you might be a little late on a particular opening.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Why would anyone want to leave when working for Burcham?

Draft saved Draft deleted