1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Longview Daily News in Washington

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ben Zimmerman, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

The Longview Daily News is seeking a reporter to cover high school sports in the Lower Columbia region. This is an entry-level position but a prime beat; prep sports are our bread, butter, cinnamon and sugar. We cover 14 high schools, aggressively and comprehensively, for a region that is passionate and savvy about prep sports. Our coverage area encompasses some of the oldest football and basketball rivalries in the state.
    We are looking for a reporter with a demonstrable grasp of digital and print reporting tools and the ability to surround and own a beat. The successful applicant’s portfolio will reflect enthusiasm, curiosity, excellent language skills, the ability to engage and develop sources, and an understanding of the role of social media in journalism.
    The previous occupant is moving on to cover prep and professional sports at a major metro.
    Contact me at zim@tdn.com if you're interested.

Ben Zimmerman

2. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

Re: Sports Writer, Longview Daily News

I'm the guy leaving this position. It was -- and is -- a great job and highly recommend it for anyone looking for a first or second full-time position. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to message me.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You might want insert the name of the state in the title of the thread. When I first saw this I was thinking Texas.

4. JeffRoper

JeffRoper Guest

Sent you an email but it got bounced back to me

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think this was where the late Rick Alvord once was SE, IIRC.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

This gig is in Washington. Good paper. Good gig. Ben is good people. The folks in the department have a good relationship with the people they cover.
    Longview is about 45 minutes north of Portland and and hour and a half south of Seattle, right off I-5. There would be plenty to do on your days off if you don't mind driving a bit.
    I believe they have a central design desk. They used to have several part-time folks that would pick up the phone during heavy prep nights ... not sure if that's the case now. The circulation used to be around 28k, but I believe it's around 20k or so now.

Please feel free to correct any errors I might have inserted with my description, Ben.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's a Lee paper (unfortunately). But they do a solid job. There's also a wood-bat summer league baseball team that the prep guy may get to help cover.

John Markon, formerly of the Richmond T-D, also works there, or at least sometimes shoots some photos for them.

8. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

Tarheel316: Good call. I threw this together quickly and omitted that crucial detail.

JeffRoper: I'm sorry about that. DM me for alternative contact information.

Tom: No corrections, although I'd have gone with "okay" people.

Mark2010: You are correct.

micro: John Markon is the managing editor. He dabbles in photography. There is indeed a wood-bat summer team here, and our next prep writer will share coverage responsibilities (or blessings, as it were).

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Oh Ben. Next time I see you, you're going to get the belly bump from hell for that "OK" statement.
    Don't believe him, folks. Ben will treat you right.

10. Ben Zimmerman

Ben Zimmerman New Member

I have the belly for that.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Finally fix that damn shift key?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Ha. I clean it up for the jobs and straight journo threads. After that, you better start paying me to put in the extra work of using the shift key. Plus, it's Zimmerman. I'll give that cat overtime for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted