1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer- La Crosse, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Past tense. Place I used to work has gone from 5 people four years ago to 2 1/2 (part time) now.

The belt has become so tight it is cutting off blood flow to the genitals and other vital organs.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ron and Mark, I hear you. I don't work at a Lee paper, but my favorite paper is the Post-Dispatch and it's a bit disappointing to see what it has become under Lee.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I used to be a Lee employee and I live in St. Louis, plus La Crosse is my hometown, so I know all too well how Lee Enterprises is running its newspapers into the ground.

4. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Bump this back up, it's open
    From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1565583

Company: River Valley Newspapers
    Position:
    Sports Writer/Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 26, 2014
    Job ID: 1565583

Description:

Sports Writer/Copy Editor

The River Valley Newspaper Group, which includes the national award-winning La Crosse Tribune (32,000 circ.) and Winona Daily News (10,000 circ.) sports sections, has an opening for someone who has strong copy editing skills, a thorough knowledge of design, is highly organized and can work with our regional design center. This position will work closely with a four-person sports staff in planning daily sections, and while not physically designing the sections, must have a flair for design and understand what eye-catching pages entail.

With a strong emphasis placed on our online sites, which includes our InsidePreps.com, the ability to help maintain our sites also is a must. There are also occasional opportunities for writing.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental and life insurance options and a 401K retirement account plan. Career growth opportunities available through our parent company, Lee Enterprises.

The application deadline is Friday, March 14, 2014. Apply online at www.rivervalleynewspapers.com.

-Equal Opportunity Employer

5. It should be noted that the posting appears to have changed. The first was for a writer. Now it's for a copy editor "with occasional opportunities for writing."

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This part seems confusing. If you're not the one laying out the pages, what exactly are you doing?

7. bmereness

bmereness Member

The pure copy-editing job might not be for me. Based on my experience with it it takes a special kind of person to just come in to the office and read stories all day. The paper I work at hired someone for this type of position with "occasional opportunities for writing" and they didn't leave the office for 9 months at a time.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

FIVE!!!! Not four. (And the five titles are Mount Union's only five losses in the last nine years.)

9. Actually it was four when Ron posted it, so he's technically not wrong.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. The variety of writing, editing and design as the best part for me.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ah, you are correct. Sorry, Ron. Guess I should check the date of posts I respond to.

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Haha All good.

Draft saved Draft deleted