1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, May 31, 2006.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

JOB DESCRIPTION — Duties include but are not limited to: covering local & regional sports for the Killeen Daily Herald, Fort Hood Herald, Cove Herald and web sites as well as all new ventures. This candidate will also be responsible for performing all other duties as assigned by management. We were the 2005 Class AA Newspaper of the Year in Texas.

JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFCATIONS — This individual must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. A college degree in communications or a sports related field is preferred. The qualified applicant will have a strong writing skills, and a through understanding of sporting events and journalistic principals. We are the 2005 Class AA Newspaper of the Year in Texas.

SALARY RANGE: Based on experience REQUIRED STARTING DATE: As soon as possible CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled Send resumes to: Killeen Daily Herald, Attn: Personnel Department, PO Box 1300, Killeen, Texas 76540. Phone: 254-501-7590. sdonna@kdhnews.com

-----

Anybody know much about Killeen? Couldn't really figure out too much from the Web site. Thanks.

2. JB20

JB20 Member

SALARY RANGE: Based on experience
    REQUIRED STARTING DATE: As soon as possible
    CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled

Could this part of the job description tell you less? And we're a profession of details.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I know the guy leaving, he was there for like three months and I think he said he was the most tenured guy there.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Here's the last two threads, one for sports reporter and one for sports editor:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/25971/
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/25974/

Both about a month old.

6. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

I’ve met a few of their writers over the years and I’ve yet to hear one good thing about the company.
    From what I hear, if you like getting low-balled and lied to, Killeen is the place for you. They also have ridiculous deadlines, something like 10:30 for copy.
    They had a writer quit recently to become an SID at some junior college in New Mexico, so how good can the job be?
    I know they won Newspaper of the Year, then turned around and fired the ME who helped lead them to it. They also fired a sportswriter and had another one get pissed off and walk out without notice.
    I read on another thread that the sports editor job was posted on accident, much to the sports editor’s surprise. That’s why it was taken off the board so quickly.
    Sounds like a total disaster to me.
    I suppose one look at the way their ad is written should say it all.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

The ME getting fired reminds me ... is this the Texas paper where the ME hates sports and tries to run it down whenever possible? Or is that another one?

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

i thought the ME here (probably the one that got axed) was a former sports editor for the paper. I could be wrong.

but yeah, i would have a had time recommending this job to anyone I liked.

9. beacon429

beacon429 New Member

I'm a finalist for one of the several open sports spots in Killeen. Reading some of these posts has me very worried though. I'm looking to jump from a very small daily in an extremely isolated portion of the country. While Killeen certainly doesn't appear to an ideal situation, I estimated it to be a decent gamble as a one-year transition to greater things. Is this sound thinking?
    With any potential job there is an element of risk involved. I wish there was a handbook with explicit directions for these types of things.

10. zman82

zman82 Member

beacon,

i think one year might be a good time table .. if you can last that long. the couple guys i knew both went in with the same concept but bailed before the year was up. that was a while ago, but from the way the thread is reading doesn't sound like much has changed.

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

here's the thing, there should be enough newness with this job to sustain you for at least a year, regardless of the working situation. and remember, the opinions expressed on this board are just that, opinions. You need to take a hard look at the situation with an open mind and go from there.
    Its not bad to have some of this information, but ultimately it's your gut instinct that will tell you whether the situation is right for you.
    and, talk to the current employees and see what they say about the newsroom environment.
    One other thing to think about -- which of these jobs will position you better for the next opportunity that comes along, assuming killeen isn't your ultimate destination.

12. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

I think underpar's advice is sound, but speaking with the employees is something I've already done.
    Based on what I've heard from them, I wouldn't go.
    Beacon, if you have a shred of talent, wait for the next opportunity. There will be others, many others, better than this one.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that none of their writers (that I know of) have jumped to a major met daily. They had some guy win 3-4 AP awards a few years back and he ended up going to a small paper in Illinois. They have some other guy right now who's won 3-4 and he's still stuck there.
    Don't forget all the people who have bailed out in anger, or have been fired along the way.
    So it's not like Killeen is a terrific launching pad to bigger and better things. It hasn't worked that way for any of their writers in the past that I know of, and I've spoken with some them personally.

Draft saved Draft deleted