1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Kenai, AK

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Looking for a challenging newspaper job and exciting place to live year-round?

The Peninsula Clarion in Kenai, Alaska, is seeking a motivated, self-starter for a sports reporter/layout position. Responsibilities include covering diverse sports, from high school sports to sprint cars to dog mushing and fishing, plus working the design desk, proofreading, typing agate and occasionally helping with general news.

Newsedit, InCopy, InDesign and Mac experience a plus. Strong editing skills, a grasp of AP style, the ability to write accurate and compelling stories and work quickly under deadlines are essential. The position includes nights and weekends.

The Clarion is a Sunday through Friday a.m. paper with a circulation of 6,500. Send a cover letter, resume, clips and references to: Peninsula Clarion, Attn: Will Morrow, P.O. Box 3009, Kenai, AK 99611 or e-mail will.morrow@peninsulaclarion.com.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not too far from Anchorage, at least by Alaskan standards.

Google Maps says the 158-mile drive should take you about four hours.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

dog mushing -- there's a beat that doesn't come open too often.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Very familiar with the area. Not at all with the job. PM me if that sounds helpful.

5. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Was up there last year for a few days during a vacation. Beautiful place. I know nothing of the paper, but if you like outdoorsy stuff, then this will put you right in the thick of it.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Peninsula Clarion (along with the nearby Homer newspaper) are owned by Morris Communications, I believe.

That being said, I have visited the Kenai Peninsula on vacation and it's absolutely spectacular, especially if you like to fish, hike, camp, etc.

Could be a great gig for someone who loves both prep sports and the great outdoors.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I have a friend who worked in radio on the Kenia peninsula. He damn near went insane living there.

You have to be the right kind of person to pull off life there.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Intriguing.

Draft saved Draft deleted