1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Junction City, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

The (Junction City) Daily Union has immediate opening for beginning sports reporter to cover Fort Riley and area high school sports. This is a full-time position with salary ranging from $20,000 up, depending on experience. Company offers health and dental, paid life insurance, six paid holidays each year, five paid sick days each year and two weeks paid vacation after one year of employment. Send resumes, clips and references to m.editor@dailyu.com.

2. Just kill me now. Go ahead. $20K a year full-time? And salaried, no less, meaning no OT. With no — none — paid vacation the first year. This is brutal. Just grab some schlub off the street with an ability to string three or more words together and give him a computer. Clearly, quality journalism isn't the goal here.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They're not trying to get a quality applicant. They're just hoping the right guy falls out of the sky into their lap.
    * A hometown person.
    * Fresh out of college so they don't know $20,000 is low (unlikely that they don't, but one can always hope).
    * "Vacation" is Thanksgiving and Christmas at mom and dad's.

I used to work at that kind of place. And actually, it was amazing how often they lucked out and got that kind of person.

4. rolling

rolling Member

Terrible town. Awful.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

All that AND you have to wake up every day in Junction City.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You could live in Ogden, where the people that aren't quite classy enough for Junk Town go.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Operation Junction City, named after this city, was the biggest offensive undertaken by US troops, and the only operation to heavily rely on airborne troops, in the Vietnam War. It probably had more chance of success than whomever gets this job.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The fuck's that supposed to mean? Good enough for a solider, but not good enough for anyone else?

And, now that I think about it, that's a pretty disgusting stereotype of Army wives. I'm waiting for an explanation.

Awful fucking broad brush your painting with.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If you move there, do you get to call yourself one of the "Junction Boys?"

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The strip clubs are cheap and the strippers are at time pregnant, so that's nice, ya know, for something different. Expecting or not, they'll beat the bejesus out of you with your belt in exchange the lint in your pocket. So I've heard.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Is this town like the Great Bend of Eastern Kansas?

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've been to Junction City and I wouldn't take a job there if it was the last one on the planet. It may have changed since I was there 30 years ago (although I doubt it), but it was called Junk City for a reason that had nothing to do with trash and debris.

Draft saved Draft deleted