1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer in St. George, Cedar City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by s.utah insider, Jun 6, 2008.

1. s.utah insider

s.utah insider New Member

There may be an opening for a sports writer job at The Spectrum & Daily News, a daily newspaper in St. George, Utah. It is unclear when this position will open, but I understand it would entail covering a college beat of some sort (Division I-AA football or Division II hoops) at one of the two area colleges. Anyone interested, please send resume, cover letter and 5-7 clips to:
    David Cordero
    The Spectrum & Daily News
    275 E. Saint George Blvd.
    St. George, UT 84770

There aren't a ton of openings in the nation these days, so this is a good chance to get some solid clips to propel to a job at a bigger paper.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You know any specific requirements they are looking for?

3. s.utah insider

First of all, it is required that you are a Yankees fan. Just kidding. I think David would be looking something eager to make their mark in the business. They recently hired a kid fresh from college, so I doubt any full-time experience is necessary. There is some page design (In Design), but as it stands right now that wouldn't be more than once or twice a week. It's mostly writing. Plenty of preps, and some outdoors possibilities as well. A good job.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Great! How's the pay? Considering it appears to be an entry-level position I'm anticipating entry-level pay.

Ah, yes. Would you happen to have his email, too? I've been primarily sending out my resumes via email.

5. s.utah insider

My best guess would be $12-13 per hour, depending on experience.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Sounds good. I'm looking to apply right away, that's something up my ally. Would you happen to know his email and position (SE, ME, so on...)

Thanks for your help! :)

7. s.utah insider

David, the Sports Team Leader, can be reached at dcordero@thespectrum.com. He welcomes emails, but would prefer hard-copy portfolios if at all possible.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It's pretty country. Take the drive from Vegas into Utah and you go through the Virgin River Gorge, which is an absolutely breathtaking stretch on Interstate highway. You're surrounding by national parks. You've also got a polygamist sect nearby for fun, ha.

St. George is the bigger of the two cities at about 50k people. I believe I remember their having a mall (I think I saw it, but I definitely didn't go to it) and a fair number of retailers, so you aren't quite removed for civilization. Cedar City is smaller. We're talking a one Wal-Mart town. Also, if you start feeling isolated, St. George is also less than two hours from Vegas (Cedar City is two hours and change).

By the way, there are plenty of mountains and desert. I'd say St. George is a high desert city. But Cedar City is actually a wooded area.

Colleges you'd cover are Southern Utah, a I-AA in Cedar City, and Dixie, a D-II, ex-juco power in St. George.

Wouldn't be a bad place.

I'm packing up my shit from a night of work, but I've got some good stories from trips to this place to tell...

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

St. George also has, I believe, one liquor store. Just the way the licensing game works out.

And it gets insanely hot there. I believe last summer they topped out at 118. But it's a dry heat!

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Sounds nice.

Can't get any worse than NH...Supposed to top 100 degrees and HUMID tomorrow and in the winter it'll get as cold as you can imagine.

11. s.utah insider

Actually there are two liquor stores now in St. George. One regular bar, although Utah may no longer require people to be "members" of private clubs in the near future. That way they can enjoy a rum and coke without having to eat something simultaneously.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I believe somebody can help me with this but I'm fairly certain that there is a somewhat drastic climate change between St. George and Cedar City. For example, as I type this, it's 82 (at 11:40 p.m.) in St. George, but 65 in Cedar City. It's because the elevation goes up drastically.

I recall being told that if St. George gets unbearably hot, drive 30-40 minutes to Cedar City for some relief. And if Cedar City gets unbearably cold in winter, as it can, drive down to St. George to warm up.

Draft saved Draft deleted