1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer in Reno

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JLawson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Tierra

Tierra New Member

Wan't he doing desk work too as ASE?

2. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

BIGD, I didn't come in here to poop all over any writers. I just know what I've heard -- they're changing their coverage, he was asked to do what I consider to be a relatively light load compared to what most writers are getting (5 blogs a week, 6 articles and a column, anyone?) and he walked away. I'm just pointing out, for anyone interested in the job, it's not as if he was asked to write a special section and design it weekly.

3. thebigd

thebigd Member

Twin i'd love to know where you get your info. I work at the competing paper nearby, so I know exactly what he was and wasn't doing. And, any paper that thinks more than 10 inches on a game story is too much, well not sure that's a good thing, either. He did a lot of writing, and before they went to InDesign he did a desk shift at least once a week.

4. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Apperantly you shouldn't apply for the job because you can't take a freakin' joke!!

5. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

I live here in Reno and have seen plenty of his work this is what a typical story looked like:
    Joe Smith was amazed by the play.
    "I was amazed by the play," said Joe Smith.
    And the rest was about the same quality, one line then a quote, then repeat. It was probably the most annoying writing I've ever seen. And I would agree that he worked a lot, at least by how many bylines he had in the paper on a weekly basis. But he had been there for so long and didn't want to change.
    Any way on a positive note, I would think they want to move on this beat soon because football is starting in one week, not a good time not to have a preps beat writer.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Hook 'em I honestly thought that might be legit.

7. You clearly know very little about what you are talking about.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

Hookem are you a journalist with an ax to grind? Are you maybe somebody who stands to benefit by this guy's departure?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually chief, it appears as though you're the guy with the agenda.

just pointing out the obvious.

10. champ

champ New Member

Bottom line: Is this a good job or not?
    I would appear to me it is.

11. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Champ, I'll ignore the grammatical error in your last post (as others have ignored mine) and say that it most definitely is a good job, though in a spendy part of the world.

12. Champ, there are about 25 people who have left the RGJ newsroom in the last 15 months who might tell you different than what Twinkilling just did.
    And Reno is not that expensive of a place to live. Sure, housing costs skyrocketed in Reno over the last five years but its no more expensive than Portland or Las Vegas or Phoenix or other West Coast cities. And it is certainly not in the ballpark of California. Yes, a decent starter house in Reno is 250K. But also consider this -- there are no state income taxes in Nevada and property taxes aren't terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted