1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Huntsville Item

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JakeandElwood, May 26, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would guess it's low. Home costs are low in Houston metro and the price of living is dictated by your local taxes because there is no state income tax. In the Woodlands, a high end area, you probably have to give away your first born. In Huntsville, it's probably pretty reasonable.

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Sam's got a good athletic program. The baseball team is in the NCAA tourney for the second straight year, football's a solid contender in the Southland, while Bob Marlin's put together one of the better mid-major men's hoops programs out there. Oh yeah: the women's outdoor track team has won three of the last four SLC titles. Each of the coaches are good with media and Paul Ridings is one of the easiest SIDs anyone could deal with. If you just starting out (and single), then the eye candy is abundance.

3. BrianGriffin

Taking this job will certainly make your "Whatever happened to Rhett Bomar" story easier to write...

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Anyone know if this has been filled? Also what is the size of the staff? And do they just cover Huntsville HS and SHSU?

5. fremont

fremont Member

I think they cover New Waverly which is a 2A school. Maybe even Willis HS. Not sure on that though.

6. BrianGriffin

As of yesterday afternoon, they had not filled it (really, they have just started looking). I think Fremont is probably right about the coverage. New Waverly is about 15 miles away. Willis is about 20-25 minutes away. Not sure if they cover those.

Staff size right now is two and the new hire would be the third.

My experience running across them is everybody they've had on staff I've run across on the beat in some way, shape or form. Meaning everybody on staff gets their hands dirty with Sam Houston State stuff, although I'd believe Cody Stark will be front and center with that beat.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It was posted just a little while ago. Get your stuff in soon if you want to be considered.

8. You guys are kind. I was just about to jump on Buju for asking that question about a job posted two days ago. Now I feel bad for being the jerk.

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

my bad Billy, didn't see when it was posted. Thanks to the others guys being nice enough to say something useful.

10. Now I really feel like a jerk. I was just having a pissy moment when I happened to come across your post. Carry on and good luck to you if you go after the job.

11. BrianGriffin

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I used to be an AME at the Item. Owned by CNHI which is an immediate red flag. It's a very conservative small town, but from the sports side, there's almost an expectation for an all-local front EVERY DAY, given the high schools and Sam Houston State.

All the prison system worries are bogus. It's just another industry in a small town, that's all.

However, don't expect to travel a whole bunch...they watch the budgets VERY closely there.

Draft saved Draft deleted