1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Hopkinsville , KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Kentucky New Era, a 10,000-circulation afternoon daily, is seeking an assistant sports editor. The job requires sports writing experience. Candidates should also have ability to shoot pictures and have knowledge of Quark Express. The newspaper covers eight high schools and four colleges, including Murray State University, Austin Peay, Western Kentucky and the University of Kentucky. The paper also covers the Tennessee Titans. Submit a cover letter and clips to Joe Wilson, sports editor, at jwilson@kentuckynewera.com.

2. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Know a guy that had this job a couple years ago. Didn't have much nice to say about it, but to each his own.

3. spud

spud Member

A 10,000-circ that charges for online content? Ballsy.

Selling on Kentucky and Titans coverage has got to be false advertising.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I have no desire to live in Hoptown, but I grew up not too far from there. Pretty countryside.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Never seen Hoptown at UK.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopkinsville,_Kentucky

7. KG

KG Active Member

Hmmm. The thing at the bottom about the eclipse was pretty cool. In other words, the single most eclipsed part is probably in the middle of either a corn or a soybean field.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think they used to show (in the olden days) for the one-off stuff like media day, stuff like that. I remember seeing the New Era sign. Course, that was 8-10 years ago.

9. bulldawg84

bulldawg84 New Member

I have some knowledge of this paper, so feel free to IM me with any individual questions.

Last I checked, they were still going to a lot more than just the media days. Though I must clarify that this was what they've done in the PAST several years and may not be the current way of thinking.

Since the paper is located in the extreme western part of the state, they obviously can't make the four-hour trip to Lexington for every UK basketball and football game. But with the HEAVY want for UK coverage from a circulation that bleeds blue, they certainly try. When they can't make it to Lexington, they generally pick up stuff regarding the other area colleges mentioned.

As for Titans coverage, they routinely drive that hour trip south for most home games in Nashville.

Like with most small papers, HS coverage is king. Locally, it's a hotbed of football and basketball talent, with several players signing D-1 scholarships each year.

10. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Plus they also print the newspaper for Ft. Campbell which is just minutes away as well. And I believe they also cover the FC High School teams whether it's for the New Era or for the Ft. Campbell Courier I'm not sure. So if you want to cover a diversified market it's definitely a place to be. But the FC beat is covered by an entirely different staff I think, but it Hoptown is definitely not the hottest of night spots, even though Nashville is close and alive. Hoptown is according to my military dependent daughter, "a crappy place." But APSU is nearby and seems to be an on the move program, question is which direction is it moving. I'm also sure the cost of living is semi resonable considering a lot of their audience is military. That means there might be a little higher housing cost than most towns their size. Just something to keep in mind fellow sportswriters...

11. cybersport

cybersport Member

I actually just sent some clips off last night. I like variety and I enjoy Nashville. Might be a good fit

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

This job isn't in Nashville and in no way does Hopkinsville resemble it.

Draft saved Draft deleted