1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Harrisonburg, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Duton, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Heard this was filled by a college stud from in-state.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fucking stud or just a stud?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Get his or her ass in there so he/she can cover the Bridgewater/VMI ping-pong match of a basketball game later this week. I'm expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of a 175-130 game.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Is VMI angling for a spot in the ODAC or something? A regular season game against Bridgewater and exhibitions against Washington & Lee and Emory & Henry, which runs a VMI-style offense of its own (VMI won that one 152-118). To say nothing of regular season games against Lees-McRae, Southern Virginia and Virginia Intercoursemont.

What, was Eastern Mennonite booked?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I suggest that Duton cater the post-game dessert table.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not sure, but if true, I know the kid and think he'll do a good job. Not IDing him because I don't want to overstep my place, but he strung for one of my old papers and his stuff was pretty good there. They wanted to bring him on full-time, but then Harrisonburg came calling.

7. Duton

Duton Member

Mystery Meat is correct, we did hire a college kid who's not only in-state but in-town. Matt Stoss is currently the editor in chief at the Breeze, JMU's student paper, and he'll work part time with us until his editorship is finished around March. Or maybe it's until he graduates. I can't remember. One way or another, he will eventually fill this position full-time. He's been stringing with us for a while, and even though he isn't finished with school yet, we didn't want to let a good writer get away.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's the info I had, but I didn't want to let the kitty out of the bag prematurely (sup BYH). He's a good guy whose dad, a TV reporter in Richmond, is also good folk. He knows how lucky he is to have his first job locked in at a strong paper four months before gradution in a time when many gifted writers have to wait four months after graduation to even get an interview with the Butthole River Gazette-Shopper.

9. There's an opening at the Butthole River Gazette-Shopper?
    Y E S!

10. boots

boots New Member

And may I add that his dad Rick is one of the nicest people you will ever meety along a football sideline. Congrats kid. Do the old man proud.

11. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

I talked to Matt last week and am very happy for him.
    As the guy who enjoyed his work as an intern for two summers, let me offer kudos to Harrisonburg on a great hire. Matt could have come down to our little shop (Petersburg) and strutted around with the whole, "My dad's on TV," or "I'm better than here." He didn't.
    Still a college guy when away from the office, he was mature and professional while at work. He had a great attitude (he claimed to enjoy the one youth baseball tournament we cover, even when I told him he didn't need to suck up) and wrote like a staff member.
    He was good enough for us to make him a part-time staffer and flip him a few bucks one summer.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I heard he often beat children and sold crack while boozing it up on the way to and from the office in cars that he stole from retired widows.

Draft saved Draft deleted