1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/GA Reporter, Mount Airy (N.C.) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

They are stretched pretty thin. Of course, that probably goes for most of us. I don't know what their deadline since they are a hub for Heartland.

2. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

Sounds like it, just wonder what the stepping stone potential is there.

3. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

This is a job that has turned over a lot in recent years. Fantastic area for prep sports and great people in the building, especially the graphic folks.

Deadlines are not the best...not sure exactly on specifics, but I do know that their writer would leave high school football games either at half or shortly afterwards to go back to the office and write his story.

But...it's a Heartland paper and it's probably the "most Heartland" because the COO is the publisher in Mount Airy and he's very, very involved.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've never met this guy, but I always get a little leary of publishers who are very involved.

5. writingump

writingump Member

Involved publishers generally mean bad news for the sports department.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I concur.

7. slc10

slc10 Member

Amen!! The publisher of the paper I worked for was supportive for the first few years then decided to pull some politics and eventually became a real bad guy. I have been gone a year and I still have a deep hate for the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted