1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer fired for fabrication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 26, 2007.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Here's a question: as newspapers continue to ask staff to do more with less, will we see more of this?

It should never be an excuse for plagiarism. But as workloads increase, you'd have to think that sloppiness increases as well. . .

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Trust me that Gannett won't want to be the one going to court on your premise. Just picture the line of questioing during the cross-examination, which would end up being a two-week study of Gannett's crimes against journalism.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh they won't care, they'll just take the position: "Ethical standards: Real good for you, not so important for me."

4. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Unemployment laws vary by state. What you said might be the case in your neck of the woods, but it sure as heck isn't here. Where I am, people can only collect if they become "unemployed through no fault of their own." And I don't think being fired for plagiarism would fall under that category.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It seems to me it is harder to make up stories than it is to go out to games, events, etc. and actually do them.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

No shit. When I was a young un and had to do lame-ass "man-on-the-street" type stories, I would always think about just making up people and quotes to talk about Christmas shopping, or tax season or whatever. Then I would start to think about all the work involved in making up names and the off chance of using a name of someone an editor or co-worker knew. "Hey Bill, you saw Mary Stewart at the mall? She lives next door to me! I heard she had a stroke last week. Good to see she's out shopping. Think I'll go visit her after work."
    It's a hell of a lot easier to just do the work...you won't get canned for doing the work, or destroy your rep in the industry if you do the work.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder if she thought she was working smarter not harder.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

There was a paper in North Carolina that lost two reporters and an editor (I think) because they made up names and answers for their man-on-the-street interviews.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That was in Reidsville. And apparently these idiots used the names of some of their college friends who lived nowhere near Reidsville's coverage area.

10. Also, lawyers cost money. That could hurt the stock price.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Gannett stock price is just one or two more futile at-bats away from slipping below the Mendoza Line.

12. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Not that I read the paperwork all that closely, but I'm pretty sure when I was hired I had to sign a piece of paper saying I would not plagiarize, among other things. Surely this is the case almost everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted