1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer: Fargo, North Dakota

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dread Pirate Roberts, Jun 21, 2010.

1. From JJobs:

Company: The Forum
    Position: Sports reporter wanted
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 20, 2010

Write for an award-winning newspaper with a circulation of more than 50,000 in a sports-minded metropolitan community with a population of nearly 150,000. Looking for versatility – potentially covering a wide range of beats from a successful hockey team competing in the nation’s premier junior league, to covering area auto racing to covering high schools that include one of Minnesota’s most successful boys hockey teams. Contributing to the outdoors section is also a possibility.

Please submit resume and clips to Kevin Schnepf, Sports Editor, The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, 101 5th Street North, Fargo, N.D., 58107 or send to kschnepf@forumcomm.com. Application deadline is June 30, 2010.

I've got tons of relatives in the area, so I read this paper often during holidays. They've got three colleges in the immediate area (D-1 North Dakota State, D-2 Moorhead State and D-3 Concordia College);doesn't sound like you'd start on those beats, but it allows for room to move up. The Fargo Forum is the biggest paper in the company of 20-30 shops around the upper midwest, which means an inside hire is likely.

While the area is a little remote — about 4 hours from the Minneapolis airport — the Fargo-Moorhead area is actually growing very quickly. You could do plenty worse than this one.

Feel free to start with the movie jokes now, eh :)

2. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Any idea where I can find that missing money, eh?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Aw, geez, here we go. :)

On topic, this does look like a pretty good gig.

4. esport12

esport12 Member

does anyone have more info on this... What the place is like? Fargo (aside from the jokes)? Salary?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This job is probably one of the higher-paying gigs listed on here (top 5 percentile). Fargo has everything you need, culture, a social scene with three colleges, a good economy, but also has its seedier sides.

The paper is the flagship for a chain of nine dailies and a 20 or so weeklies. The company also owns the ABC affiliate in Fargo and Grand Forks, as well as an AM news-talk station.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I think we have a winner here...

7. Care to be a little more specific? I had a couple buddies apply, but haven't talked to them recently...

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know the person's name, I just know the writer comes from Beaumont. So if your buddies aren't from there, I guess they didn't get the job.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beaumont to Fargo.... talk about culture shock!

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, Fargo is definitely an upgrade.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but to go from a winter in Beaumont to a winter in Fargo ... Wow.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Or a summer.....

Draft saved Draft deleted