1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fairmount, W.Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I believe Bob was the SE in Morgantown a few years back. I don't know all the details, so I can't tell you the reason for his departure.

Muriale's is probably the Italian restaurant you were thinking of, Moddy. Great sauce.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Drove through Fairmont once on one of my spring trips. Headed toward Pittsburgh and thought I'd drive on 19 instead of the freeway. If memory serves me right, this city used to have a larger population. Its downtown has several taller structures, something you usually don't find in a 15,000 or 20,000 city.

I'd recommend the area. Morgantown is not far away and you have decent access to Pittsburgh... also Baltimore and Washington via I-68.

3. nmsports

nmsports Member

OK, big question: Salary? I'm guessing something similar to population.

4. Trey Beamon

If I had to guess, probably about $25K.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm in the area on business this week; I come out this way about once every other month. North Central West Virginia is pretty OK -- Morgantown has a decent enough scene downtown and Muriele's is primo Italian in Fairmont. Apparently there's a pretty strong Italian presence in this part of the state, and from what I've been told by people in our office here, there's some good Italian restaurants in Fairmont and Clarksburg.

Only limited experience with reading the West Virginian, but it seems good enough for its size.

6. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I applied for this position and got an email back saying it has been filled.

7. Trey Beamon

That is correct.

8. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Do you know who they hired?

9. Trey Beamon

Someone from in-state.

10. I see you say it's filled, but for future reference, are there many Mothman signings in this area? This would directly affect how likely I would be to apply in the future.

11. tombragg

tombragg New Member

I got the job. Found out about it from this site. thanks guys!

ps - Mothman is in the southern/western part of the state near Ohio and Kentucky. The Braxton County Monster could be an issue though.

12. I spent most of my childhood reading books about American folklore and, more specifically, monsters, so I am both fascinated and horrified by Mothman and the Flatwoods Monster/Braxton County Monster.

PM me if you ever see them.

Draft saved Draft deleted