1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer - Escanaba, Mich.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by UPChip, Jul 6, 2010.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

---
    The Daily Press in Escanaba is looking for a sports reporter who is looking for an opportunity - not just a job. We are looking for someone who is energetic and loves writing about sports, primarily high school and youth athletics. Experience in newspaper reporting and pagination preferred but will train the right individual. Benefits available to the right candidate including health insurance, vacations and 401K.
    If this is the opportunity for you, please send resume and any writing samples to browell@dailypress.net or mail to:
    DAILY PRESS
    Your Local News Leader
    Attn: Brian Rowell, Editor
    600 Ludington Street
    Escanaba, MI 49829
    The Daily Press is an E.O.E.
    No phone calls please
    ---

The bad news: you're not going to get rich here. Escanaba is in the U.P., which is a long drive from a lot of places — about two hours north of Green Bay. It's a preps and less kind of town. So it might not be your cup of tea.

The good news: You're one of a 2 1/2 person sports staff and the other 1 1/2 both have decades of experience. This was my first job out of school and within 19 months, I had learned enough to hold my own as SE at a sister paper in the (Ogden) chain. The SE is, as I put it when I mentioned my job opening up previously, 'a throwback in every sense of the word,' which is more often than not a good thing for you (especially if you like golf). I have many other (mostly good) things to say about my time there — PM me for more info. The U.P., though remote, is a ridiculously underrated place to live and the cost of living is low.

They're trying to find someone fairly soon, and if you're a young person in the Upper Midwest maybe looking for a way into the business, this opportunity is something you should definitely investigate — if for no other reason than the honor of being my successor's successor's succesor.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Who left?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A hungry man. The pay is bad. I had a phone interview a while back when I was looking to jump from news to sports, and didn't go further because of the pay.

4. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Define what bad pay is....

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Under 20k.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Okay.... that is bad pay.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Allow me to second UP Chip's recommendation. The SE he's referring to is quite the character, but the man knows his sports and how to cover it. A good place for someone just starting out.

And the U.P. is definitely one of the best places you can live in the Midwest if you love the outdoors. And I'm not even a hunter. Great hiking, mountain biking, fishing and beachcombing.

Just be sure to slap on a li'l bug spray ... :)

Draft saved Draft deleted