1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Elkton, MD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Cecil Whig in Elkton, Md., is looking for a talented sports reporter or editor — someone who knows and loves local sports. The job provides an opportunity to write features, columns and game stories. The Whig provides its reporters with a variety of opportunities, including covering two NASCAR weekends at Dover International Speedway, LPGA golf, horse racing and select professional events in Aberdeen and Baltimore — but the emphasis in on our local high school and college teams. We place a high value on writing about the people who make the games interesting, not just who did what and when. We also place a premium on our local sports coverage, which includes nationally ranked Cecil College and the University of Delaware. Applicants should have a strong work ethic, be enthusiastic about sports and prepared to work weekends and some holidays. Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is a plus, but not required. The Whig offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement and paid vacation, all while living at the top of the Chesapeake Bay. We’re about an hour from Philadelphia and Baltimore, just off I-95. To apply, please e-mail cover letter, resume and six writing and/or editing clips to letters@cecilwhig.com. No phone calls please.

2. When I was playing high school hoops in Maryland, the Cecil Whig was our paper of record....don't remember anything else about it, though

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Cool story.

4. Elkton, also known as the last exit in Maryland, which you have to take to avoid a $4 toll on I-95 at the Delaware line.

Maybe it's just been a slow time for them right now, but it doesn't seem like they do that much with the Blue Hens from their website. You'd think they could if it's a premium, because other than Georgia State, every CAA school is within an eight-hour drive of Elkton.

But if what I saw is true, they didn't even go to Delaware's football game at James Madison, since their site had an AP byline on it. If you're not going to make a four-hour trip, I don't think you can call it premium.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you don't like Ramen, you will.

6. Why does everyone always say that?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Because it's cheap food that's good tasting and good for you when you're not making any money.

8. Wouldn't know. Never had it.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Consider yourself fortunate.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cold cereal and oatmeal work as well.

11. Don't really bother with those either. Beauty of being single and young, I guess.

12. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Wonder if this is the same position that I applied for out of college, was told there was a freeze on, and then never heard anything further.

Draft saved Draft deleted