1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Denton, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 14, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They've cut their coverage area significantly in the last 10 years. They now restrict themselves to generally the northern half of Denton County and that's it — they don't cross Lake Lewisville.

Outside of the three city schools, they only have six other area schools to worry about in football. Throw in Krum and Ponder for other sports, although both will be starting football soon. (Yes, that's right, the apocalypse is nigh.)

And Mark, we've seen on other threads that assurances going into a job like this aren't worth spit.

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

4A - Denton Ryan, Denton, Denton Guyer (will be 5A next alignment) and Lake Dallas
    3A - Argyle, Sanger
    2A - Pilot Point, Aubrey, Ponder, Krum
    TAPPS - Liberty Christian

They are also opening a new high school in Denton in 2012.

3. No way in hell would Belo give you a job assurance. Nothing verbal would stand up, and they'd never put anything on paper for an entry-level staff position at a paper this size. The ME probably doesn't have any assurance, and certainly the SE won't. So how they can give it in turn?

And the warning about the Record Street bean counters should be taken to heart. I think Denton has more full-time prep writers than the DMN. A five-man staff for a 13K? That's way out of line in today's market. Hell, we just saw Durham cut back to five, and it's twice the size of the Denton paper with 2-3 DI's it staffs, plus more preps.

At $12.50 an hour, I don't think anybody will move cross country to pounce on this deal. At least not without a spouse with a decent-paying job.

4. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Just graduated from North Texas and live in Denton, covered area prep sports for other local papers and I would be more than happy to take $12.50 per hour for this job..

*hint* *hint* DRC ;)

5. Denton's down to 13K circulation now? Sheesh.

Kmac, you're hired.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I probably ask this every time a Denton job comes open, but do they have any more Von Erichs down there? Kevin I think moved his family to Hawaii, all his brothers and parents are dead ... is that it for the Adkisson clan?

7. Safe bet. DMN is down to one.

Draft saved Draft deleted