1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Decatur, Ill

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Herald & Review is seeking a versatile team member for its sports department. The ideal candidate would be an enthusiastic writer to help us keep up with an area rich in top sports programs and come away with more than just a game story. We cover more than 60 high schools but responsibilities could include local colleges and general assignment. The person must be excited to keep us ahead of the curve with our online components and be able to perform copy editing duties once or twice a week. Send resume and work samples by Aug. 10 to: Mike Albright, sports editor, Decatur Herald & Review, PO Box 311, Decatur, Ill., 62525; or e-mail to malbright@herald-review.com.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

PM me for details

3. ReggieRedbird57

ReggieRedbird57 New Member

It's owned by Lee :-\

4. Scouter

Scouter Member

It smells funny there.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When I was a little kid, I used to cry when we'd visit my Grandma there and we had to drive by "Stinky Staley's."

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think this is where Cameron's mom went, but unfortunately, she's not staying.

[​IMG]

7. Decatur does have a funny smell - there's no denying that. But it's a good staff and the cost of living is pretty low ... There are much, much worse places to work than Decatur, IL -

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

They say it's the smell of money... but since it ain't my money, it just smells like shit.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

They say that about every town with an industry that produces foul odors. My father worked at the oil refinery in my home town that gave the place a peculiar smell, and that was his stock phrase.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nobody ever said that in Hoopeston, Illinois.

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I bet Thad Matta did once.

12. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

This was my first shop out of college, and I enjoyed virtually every day I was there. It's still one of my favorite jobs I've had, and I've had a few over the years.

Decatur's not Chicago, but it's not the worst town in the world either. Mike Albright, the sports editor, is damn good people, too.

I would recommend this position.

If anyone has any questions, you are welcome to email me as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted