1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Danville Register & Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thestatman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Follow up on housing: That $425/month 2 BR apartment I lived in during my time in Danville? Well, that was eight years ago and as with all things, they've gotten more expensive since then:

http://www.danvilleapartmentrentals.com/apartmentlocations/view.nhtml?profile=apartmentlocations&UID=42

Up to $435/month.

So housing costs are pretty low there. Salary won't be a king's ransom, but it'll be comparable to similarly-sized papers in much more expensive parts of Virginia.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

(3) 3 BR/ 2 1/2 bath Units - App. 1200 Sq. Ft. - From $650.00 Per Month

So for an extra half-bath and about 200 fewer square feet, they're paying $250 less a month than I am on my mortgage. Sheeeeit.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm shocked at how housing and rental prices vary so widely from one place to another.

4. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

Any word on this position? A little late to the party, but was thinking about sending over my resume and clips.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Interviews are taking place early next week in Danville. Couldn't hurt to send clips, but you're probably a little too late.

6. TWilliams161

TWilliams161 New Member

Thanks. That's kind of what I figured, but like you said, couldn't hurt.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That they hired no one for a year seems, well, awful to me.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It should be noted that it was Media General that didn't hire anyone for more than year. World Media (Berkshire Hathaway) is running the show now.

9. BravesFan10

BravesFan10 New Member

What's the status of this job? I applied and emailed to follow up, but have heard absolutely nothing. This is honestly the most appealing job I've applied to and I'd really love a shot at an interview.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Likely to be filled very soon, perhaps within the week.

11. BravesFan10

BravesFan10 New Member

Why was I never contacted about it? Should I have called?

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Because they probably had better candidates. No.

Draft saved Draft deleted