1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - Danville Register & Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thestatman, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cgsports12

cgsports12 New Member

I enjoyed my brief time in Danville in 1998. I had the Single-A minor league team to cover the season they had two minor league clubs because the stadium in Myrtle Beach wasn't finished yet. Jason Marquis pitched for that team, but the 97s were horrible (58-82 record).
    It was a fun experience covering GW winning a state title in basketball, led by Charles Stephens and Marques Cunningham. They beat high school superstar Ronald Curry along the way.
    Having no freaking restaurants open past 10 p.m. and having to eat subs at Exxon all the time after work sucked in a major way.
    I'm just thankful the Altoona Curve beat opened the following year in Altoona, Pa., so I didn't have to spend too much time in Danville.
    I'd recommend this job to a kid right out of college looking to get good clips and to cover good high school hoops. Robert Benson is a good guy, too.

Cory Giger
    Altoona Mirror
    ESPN Radio State College/Altoona

2. thestatman

thestatman Member

Chris is handling the interviews and the hiring, since he is technically the sports editor of the Register & Bee. The interviews will be conducted in Danville, which means Chris has to make the trip to Dan Vegas for however many interviews there are.

PM me if you still have any questions.

3. J.C. Wolf

J.C. Wolf Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

The situation in Danville is unusual, and much has changed since I started at the R&B more than three years ago. The switch to a regional copy desk came with some pluses and minuses - most notably, those of us who retained employment and remained in Danville through the "restructuring" lost the desk responsibilities in favor of writing and reporting full time, which is an incredible aspect of this job considering the size of the paper.

There is also a tremendous amount of freedom associated with the position, which is both a positive and a negative. Since there is no longer a sports editor based in Danville, the sports reporters are largely charged with determining what to cover and budgeting their time and resources in order to pursue the most worthwhile stories and long-term projects. It's not easy - nobody is going to be there to hold your hand - but even with just two full-time sports reporters and no locally-based SE, great work is possible if you're enterprising and able to juggle your resources. And Danville is a freakin' gold mine, make no mistake about it.

Given the setup, I strongly recommend this job for someone who knows what they're doing, someone with experience working for a community newspaper. You'll need to be able to swim from the start, and it'll be far too easy to drown while trying to tread water. I know my experience as a small-paper SE prior to coming to Danville served me well after we were basically given free rein.

If you're interested, you need to get your stuff in quick if you haven't already. I'm told there were 125 resumes submitted at last count, and that was a couple of days ago. Phone interviews are already being conducted.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I'll do my best to respond quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted