1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/copy editor, Saratoga, N.Y.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 25, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Immediate opening for a talented copy editor and page designer who is familiar with sports and adept at presenting news both in print and online, including editing Web videos. We publish The Saratogian, a daily newspaper in a highly competitive media market, as well as three weeklies year-round and a daily special edition during the six-week thoroughbred racing season. Work shift is nights, including weekends. This is a great place to start your career, make a difference and make your mark. Send a cover letter, resume, three references and up to four relevant work samples to Sports Editor Andrew Bernstein at abernstein@saratogian.com or to Bernstein c/o The Saratogian, 20 Lake Ave., Saratoga Springs, NY 12866.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe this is a repeat of a previous opening.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

JRC warning.

4. NegativeVertical

NegativeVertical New Member

On JJobs, it says they're looking offering $20K-$25K, so if you like peanuts...

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Andrew is good. Really knows his stuff. Saratoga has the horse track, obviously, but there's opportunities to cover some of the minor league events in the area. Does anybody know who left?

6. Write Hard

Write Hard New Member

This was my job for a couple weeks, until an unforeseen medical problem forced me to resign. Andrew and the gang are really good people. They were extremely supportive during my time off -- and were willing to wait for me to come back -- but I decided to leave so they could get someone in there to help out during racing season. They live for what's coming up in a couple months.

It is a small paper and staff, so everyone wears multiple hats, but it is a great place to get your hands dirty. The staff is also pretty young, which makes it great for someone not too far out of college, and the office is pretty chill despite what you might hear about JRC. And while the next person will be hired under the strict understanding that their job is to design and copy edit, if you push the issue a tad, they can definitely find time for you to cover something every now and again. There is plenty of freedom and plenty of ways to grow up there.

Also, the town is really nice. Definitely not a bustling metropolis, but there is plenty to do. There is a state park nearby and the Adirondacks. The Phantoms, the Flyers' minor league affiliate, play up in Glens Falls, which is about 20 minutes away. And it is possible to find an apartment for around $500 a month if you look hard enough.

While this must be rare for a stay as short as mine, I would recommend The Saratogian to a good, young journalist looking to learn a few things. As long as you go into it with the mindset that it's a place to learn and that nothing is easy when it comes to journalism and 11:15 p.m. deadlines, you will be fine.

Anyone looking for more details can message me.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I forgot to say that people could PM me about the paper too. I was there for 15 months.

Draft saved Draft deleted