1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Biloxi, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sports Staff Writer-- The Sun Herald, a McClatchy daily on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, seeks a full-time staff writer. This person will report and write daily, weekend and project stories focusing on sports. This writer may cover general issues, may be responsible for planning and writing the stories for particular sections and/or may cover a mix of assignments and mini-beats. Qualifications include: a college degree preferably in Journalism or English; at least two years of experience in the field; excellent skills in time management, organization, communication, listening, writing and editing. This person should also have a strong knowledge of identifying news stories and assessing its importance. The Sun Herald offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Interested applicants should complete an application or mail a resume with clips to The Sun Herald, ATTN: Sports Staff Writer, 205 Debuys Road, Gulfport, MS 39507 or email to jlee@sunherald.com.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Ugh. Why wasn't this available 6 months ago. I quit the game then and make a heck of a lot more now that I'm out but this is where I want to retire to so I feel like applying.

3. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Sun Herald has shed a lot of its sports staff in recent years. Did someone else leave? Is this a new position?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Go for it. You got nothing to lose. In fact, I'd tell them just what you said: "The only place I'd come back for is here."

Guy named Slim Smith used to be SE. Have no idea if he's still there or not, but won't ever forget the name.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought Doug Barber was the SE but there's no telling. They may use a Magic 8-Ball now.

This feels like an attempt to fill the old Jim Mashek position in a more economical fashion.

6. JPsT

JPsT Member

Could they make it a little less clear what you'll be covering? You might cover "general issues" or you could have some mini-beats. Or not.

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Slim Smith is the managing editor at The Commercial Dispatch in Columbus, Miss.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Did not know this but happy to hear it. Good to know Slim is still in the business.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The same Slim that used be at the East Valley Tribune? I can't imagine there are that many Slim Smith's out there in management.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, and yes. Slim's been gone from Biloxi for at least 15 years.

They're down to three full-time sports guys now. There's no real sports editor, but a guy who runs both the sports and features desk.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The Captain hasn't been the SE in several years, as Scott Hawkins runs both features & sports. Theyre down to Doug, Al Jones & James Jones, half of what they had when I was there. They're adding a zoned edition for east Jackson County (Pascagoula) to pick up the slack from the Miss. Press going to 3 days a week. I'd agree this is likely the Mash-on-the-Cheap hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted